BSA Owners' Club Workshop Discussions

The BSA Workshop => Twins => Topic started by: Foxy on 21 Jun, 2018, 15:55

Title: Mk 1 Rocket
Post by: Foxy on 21 Jun, 2018, 15:55
Hi
I'm after advice on what value my bike would be worth,its a 1964 A65 Rocket 1 of only 1000 made,its matching frame and engine.it's been fully restored and in concourse condition.I was hoping someone on the site may be able to appraise it.

Thanks
Title: Re: Mk 1 Rocket
Post by: A10 JWO on 21 Jun, 2018, 16:40
I would watch what bikes sell for on ebay, ignore the dealers adverts, they are always three to four grand more. Look in Old Bike Mart which is realistic, again ignore dealers prices.
Title: Re: Mk 1 Rocket
Post by: Foxy on 21 Jun, 2018, 17:51
Thanks for your reply....agree with what you say about dealers.....my problem is I can't find another mk 1 rocket for let along a matching frame and engine and then in concourse condition so I'm kinda stuck.....any thanks again for your time to reply
Title: Re: Mk 1 Rocket
Post by: A10 JWO on 21 Jun, 2018, 18:00
Keep looking over time, obviously they don't fetch the money that the Triumph cousins command. I have just spent £1000's on my rebuild, the £400 new clutch arrived today. However I won't get what I spent. BUT I did enjoy building it. Might have it buried with me one day. Good luck.

Subscribe to Old Bike Mart published by Mortons Press, a good read every month.
Title: Re: Mk 1 Rocket
Post by: Foxy on 21 Jun, 2018, 22:24
yeah we certainly do some money on these bikes eh,thats a good idea about old bike mart thanks
Title: Re: Mk 1 Rocket
Post by: ChrisG on 22 Jun, 2018, 11:03
Studying Ebay auction values achieved would be my first port of call but as you say, this model is quite rare and therefore going to be difficult to see any comparisons.
In such cases I would look at what similar models e.g 1964 A65 Star, are selling for and then load the value on the basis of rarity, desirability (is it a model someone will want?) and condition. Most of all determine what value would you be happy with.
Title: Re: Mk 1 Rocket
Post by: Foxy on 22 Jun, 2018, 15:05
Thank you,that's some very good advice
Title: Re: Mk 1 Rocket
Post by: Mike Farmer on 22 Jun, 2018, 20:07
 :)

Look at an ordinary A65 and triple the price. You can always come down.

I'm not going to see anywhere near my money back either---

Mike
Title: Re: Mk 1 Rocket
Post by: DerekAnderson8 on 23 Jun, 2018, 09:05
pictures would be nice!  :)

Title: Re: Mk 1 Rocket
Post by: JulianS on 23 Jun, 2018, 17:17
Is it a Rocket or the more flamboyant US market Thunderbolt Rocket? It could make a difference.

There were Rocket 2 engine sequences - A65B 101 (September 1963) to end of production in August 1965 with A65B 431 and A65C 101 (September 1963) to end of production in August 1965 with A65C 2586.

Figures from Glass's MotorCycle check books. Pages shown below.
Title: Re: Mk 1 Rocket
Post by: Straw Bear on 23 Jun, 2018, 18:58
I have a 1964 A65 Rocket engine in a 1962 A65 Rocket frame and is immaculate and I paid £5k last year as a guide :-)
Title: Re: Mk 1 Rocket
Post by: Foxy on 24 Jun, 2018, 21:49
Quote from: Straw Bear on 23 Jun, 2018, 18:58
I have a 1964 A65 Rocket engine in a 1962 A65 Rocket frame and is immaculate and I paid £5k last year as a guide :-)
[/quote
Hi

Thanks for the reply its definatley a rocket I have the bsa certificate to show this and that it is matching frame and engine.thanks again