BSA Owners' Club Workshop Discussions

The BSA Workshop => Twins => Topic started by: tcbezza on 21 Jun, 2018, 07:58

Title: Rear Drive Chain Replacement
Post by: tcbezza on 21 Jun, 2018, 07:58
I am getting near to the time to replace the rear chain on my OIF A56 which has started me wondering if I could use a O ring chain to replace the standard none O ring chains I have been using in the past. I think the equivalent is a 530 chain. Has anybody used an O ring chain on an A65 and are there any problems doing this, is it too wide for example?
Cheers
TC
Title: Re: Rear Drive Chain Replacement
Post by: AWJDThumper on 21 Jun, 2018, 09:17
The O-ring chain is about 0.05" wider (length of pins) on my non-A65 bike compared with the non-O-ring version. This level of difference should not be significant in terms of whether a O-ring chain will fit on a A65. That said, you can pay twice as much for an O-ring chain and they are only really needed for bikes that will be used off-road. Even on my off-road bike, they are probably overkill!