BSA Owners' Club Workshop Discussions

The BSA Workshop => Twins => Topic started by: A10 JWO on 16 Jun, 2018, 14:57

Title: Clutch Issue after engine rebuild. A65 3 Spring
Post by: A10 JWO on 16 Jun, 2018, 14:57
My clutch has been too stiff since my engine rebuild. I put new friction pads in, new push rod, new cam thrust ball bearings and lubricated the new cable. Tried all sorts of adjustments and the cable is not cable tied anywhere. I pulled the clutch out today, the plain clutch plates slightly warped-worn. But the outer basket has ridges in each section. I assume that the plates are catching on these ridges causing the problem. A wise mate of mine said to file them all straight again ? I am of the mind to get a new basket or a complete modern clutch assembly, views please. Thanks.
Title: Re: Clutch Issue after engine rebuild. A65 3 Spring
Post by: ChrisG on 16 Jun, 2018, 15:41
For what its worth I think the described wear combined with the sharp edges on new clutch plates (stone them off first) is the major reason for a stiff clutch. So, file them out of not too bad, otherwise replace the basket but they are expensive! (£125).
Title: Re: Clutch Issue after engine rebuild. A65 3 Spring
Post by: Bess on 16 Jun, 2018, 15:44
Hi,
     I file the basket slots, the clutch plate tangs I also file to the same profile as a surflex plates.

The clutch always feels better afterwards.

Best wishes...
Title: Re: Clutch Issue after engine rebuild. A65 3 Spring
Post by: A10 JWO on 16 Jun, 2018, 15:53
Can I file them without taking the basket off ? Thanks for prompt replies lads.
Title: Re: Clutch Issue after engine rebuild. A65 3 Spring
Post by: Bess on 16 Jun, 2018, 16:15
Hi,
     I've never done it that way. I guess there's no reason why not just the restriction of the engine casing stopping a good stroke of the file. The obvious issue of ensuring all the filings are removed from the primary.

Best wishes...
Title: Re: Clutch Issue after engine rebuild. A65 3 Spring
Post by: apb on 17 Jun, 2018, 14:10
I got caught out with a new clutch cable that had a slightly large ball end on it. It did feel a little tight but once the engine was warm the ball expanded enough to jam the cable!! Everything went through my mind, clutch center, bent operating rod etc. At the side of the road using a rough stone I managed to "grind" enough off to get home. It was a nice sunny day in the highlands though and recovery home seemed a bit of a cop out. If it had been lashing down with rain AA would have been the only answer.
Title: Re: Clutch Issue after engine rebuild. A65 3 Spring
Post by: A10 JWO on 18 Jun, 2018, 17:52
I am going to buy a new basket and billet cover plate. Just don't know which one to get. I have seen light weight Dunstall alloy baskets about the same price as the steel ones. I have heard that the adjuster on the billet pressure plate has a different adjuster and the push rod will need cutting down. I assume standard clutch plates will the new basket. Has anyone got any views on this conversion please. Thanks.
Title: Re: Clutch Issue after engine rebuild. A65 3 Spring
Post by: CROFTY1984 on 20 Jun, 2018, 13:37
I was going to say you can get at them with a dremel in situ, but I see you've decided to replace. If you're doing that why not also go for a 7 plate conversion? I've done it on my T140 and A65 and the improvement I'd very noticeable.
Title: Re: Clutch Issue after engine rebuild. A65 3 Spring
Post by: A10 JWO on 20 Jun, 2018, 15:55
I have ordered a complete £400 + clutch from SRM it should arrive tomorrow. Just trying to find someone local with the tools I need.
Title: Re: Clutch Issue after engine rebuild. A65 3 Spring
Post by: ROYC on 20 Jun, 2018, 19:54
Quote from: A10 JWO on 20 Jun, 2018, 15:55
I have ordered a complete £400 + clutch from SRM it should arrive tomorrow. Just trying to find someone local with the tools I need.

You won't regret it.
I have fitted the SRM one.
Title: Re: Clutch Issue after engine rebuild. A65 3 Spring
Post by: A10 JWO on 28 Jun, 2018, 16:19
Spent a pleasant couple of hours fitting the new complete SRM Clutch. What a great bit of kit, I now have a 2 finger clutch. I hardly had to tighten the three springs and had to cut 25mm off of the push rod.
The 20 bearings are fiddly to put in at my age.  ;D