BSA Owners' Club Workshop Discussions

The BSA Workshop => Twins => Topic started by: apb on 10 Jun, 2018, 15:32

Title: Rotor nut torque setting?
Post by: apb on 10 Jun, 2018, 15:32
There seems to be some conflict on the web regarding torque setting for the A65 rotor nut. My BSA manual says 60ftlb but other sites are saying that is wrong and it should be 30ftlb? As that is a large discrepancy I thought to consult the wealth of knowledge on here! :)

Cheers.

Andy.
Title: Re: Rotor nut torque setting?
Post by: JulianS on 10 Jun, 2018, 15:45
60 is the correct figure.

Below service sheet from May 1970.
Title: Re: Rotor nut torque setting?
Post by: apb on 10 Jun, 2018, 17:40
Your a star thanks for that. I have the orange workshop manual that states 60 but an American site actually has somebody say that it a misprint!!
Check and check again is my belief and assemble once.
Title: Re: Rotor nut torque setting?
Post by: ChrisG on 12 Jun, 2018, 11:31
That figure 'figures' as it were, as the A65's Rotors are prone to rattle about on the crankshaft making the woodruff key slot splay out and the result is a noticeable vibration. I wasn't aware of this torque setting and mine is showing signs of looseness.
I will put this in The Star to inform others like me who should, but don't read the manual.
Chris
Title: Re: Rotor nut torque setting?
Post by: apb on 17 Jun, 2018, 14:02
Hi,

I've just put my engine back together using the original parts book mostly! The exploded drawings are a god send when reassembling. I stripped mine last year and although I was very careful I did end up with a box of loose bits. The manual ( I have the orange BSA, a Clymer and Haynes) only go so far when putting an engine back together.  Setting up is in reasonably good detail though.