Hello all,
I've finally got the A65 running fairly well and done all the electrics.
When I get back from a ride (less than 10 miles) there's oil all over the rear wheel from the breather -great idea there BSA!
I believe this hose comes from the top of the tank near the headstock (OIF). I think it wet-sumped recently as I went to the tank and it looked pretty empty, so I topped it up. Totally accept I may have overfilled it, but I've sucked it down to a reasonable level.
Any ideas? I really fancy being able to turn left on it!
That's 3 rides in a row now.
Update: sucked even MORE out.
The hose from near the oil filler cap is the oil tank vent pipe. Unfortunately, if the bike wet sumps and you top up the oil tank before the excess oil in the sump gets pumped back to the tank, the tank will overflow via the vent tube. Unfortunately, this is easily done with OIF bikes and you have to be very careful when you top up the oil level. Best done after a long ride.
Just to add in defence of BSA that I think the OIF oil tank vent tube is a good idea. The OIF bike I regularly ride doesn't have one and over filling the oil tank then results in the electrics under the tank and the engine getting covered in oil, as well as the back wheel.
Crofty, are you sure its the tank vent? The Oil tank vent is under the main spine near the headstock. If it is coming out of there its because you have over filled it and when you brake, going down a steep hill, the oil can move forward as far as that and spill out but it has to travel a long way. The correct level should be about 3" below the base of the filler cap receptacle. Have you got a dipstick? They are available from dealers and a necessity in my opinion, as you cant see the oil level from above the filler. If you can see the oil, its got too much in it.
If you are blowing oil out of the engine breather, then that will deposit itself nicely on the oil tank base fabricated platform at the bottom of the frame and drips onto the gutter when stopped and on the side stand. Much to the amusement of the modern bikers at the cafe of course.
Quick update, once I got the oil down to a reasonable level it stopped. I can turn left again!
Don't have a dipstick but a nut on a firmly held loop of string does the trick.