BSA Owners' Club Workshop Discussions

The BSA Workshop => Sidecars => Topic started by: Jackson on 09 May, 2018, 17:04

Title: Tapers in fittings
Post by: Jackson on 09 May, 2018, 17:04
I am fitting a Steib S500 to my '53 plunger A10.
I have many fittings and a lathe to help with those I haven't.
I need to make the fittings which go into the lugs on the bike frame.
There are three of these, one under the head stock (tapered), one under the nose of the saddle (tapered, but a different size) and one just in front of the middle of the plunger (cylindrical and is also the pillion footrest mounting when solo). Does anyone have any idea of the internal dimensions of these lugs, particularly the tapers? I am finding it difficult to measure the tapers and the internal surface is uneven (paint I think, will need cleaning).
Any help gratefully received.
Title: Re: Tapers in fittings
Post by: ROYC on 09 May, 2018, 21:38
Quote from: Jackson on 09 May, 2018, 17:04
I am finding it difficult to measure the tapers and the internal surface is uneven (paint I think, will need cleaning).
Any help gratefully received.

Shove some Modelling Clay, Plastercine into the hole, this will give you a model of the thing that you want to make in metal.
Title: Re: Tapers in fittings
Post by: Jackson on 10 May, 2018, 08:03
Ta, I'd thought of that but worried it's too soft and distorts on the way out. I'll try it though. I wondered if anyone had any original BSA specs for the lugs.
Title: Re: Tapers in fittings
Post by: Dean Southall on 14 May, 2018, 18:31
There is an article in this month's Star about sidecar fitting. The author has offered to help anyone having problems. It might be worth getting in touch with him directly.
Title: Re: Tapers in fittings
Post by: Jackson on 19 May, 2018, 11:39
Thanks, I'm in touch with him already, he's the BSAOC sidecar specialist.
Adrian