BSA Owners' Club Workshop Discussions

Motorcycling Matters => General Motorcycling Subjects => Topic started by: Rog1 on 12 Jul, 2026, 10:09

Title: Ear plugs
Post by: Rog1 on 12 Jul, 2026, 10:09
I fitted a screen to one of my bikes, but now there's much increased wind noise. Are those £35 a time super-duper ear plugs really better than ordinary plugs?

I see that some of them reduce noise by 25db, but some that (for example) Screwfix sell at a much lower price reduce noise by 35db. Which is best?
Title: Re: Ear plugs
Post by: iansoady on 12 Jul, 2026, 11:30
Never used (nor needed) ear plugs in 60 years of riding. Mind you I've never used a full face helmet either aprt from a couple of miles which nearly drove me mad.
Title: Re: Ear plugs
Post by: topher on 16 Jul, 2026, 22:05
When I worked in a sawmill we were all provided with custom made ear plugs, moulded to our individual ears. Of course they got used on the bike too and were very good at reducing wind roar. I had a T595 at the time so they were quite useful 8)
I've also used the foam type that you roll up and push into your ear, found them pretty good too. Can be bought by the box load as you know.
I believe Specsavers will "measure" you up and provide custom ear plugs.
Long story short, I think they're worth it, "worth" increasing exponentially with length of journey x engine capacity x straight through pipes ;D
Title: Re: Ear plugs
Post by: Tim Campbell on 17 Jul, 2026, 17:34
Get yourself some good earplugs. I've got hearing loss due to working on flightlines on military bases in the 80s when hearing protection wasn't enforced or even issued. Worked up close and personal around F-4 fighters with the engines running and when they were taking off two at a time with full afterburner. Also working with machinery and operating forklifts constantly. At the time, in my 20s, it didn't seem like a bother but now in my not 20s there is a constant ringing in my ears and need to wear hearing aids. A good full-face helmet can make a difference as well though some do seem claustrophobic. Big thing is to remember to USE them.
Title: Re: Ear plugs
Post by: Derek996 on 18 Jul, 2026, 14:28
Definitely use earplugs. About 25yrs ago I became aware that my hearing wasn't as good as it should be, difficult to follow conversations in noisy pubs. At that time I had never worn earplugs but started using when I became aware that my hearing wasn't quite as sharp as it should be. Since then my hearing hasn't gotten any worse and I'm sure that it's because of my use of earplugs.
Title: Re: Ear plugs
Post by: DAVE BRADY on 18 Jul, 2026, 17:26
Hi,

I too came to earplugs later rather than sooner.  It is amazing how much better the bike sounds.

Dave.
Title: Re: Ear plugs
Post by: iansoady on 19 Jul, 2026, 10:14
A bit like removing a fairing. The noisiest bike I've ever ridden was a Triumph Saint with full dolphin. Rattlesnakes as we used to call them.
Title: Re: Ear plugs
Post by: Calum on 07 Aug, 2026, 08:42
I've been through a few types and not found any I've been too happy with. Nothing more annoying than getting half a mile down the road and one half falls out of your ear... At work in the workshop I usually have over-head defenders on but those don't work too well on the bike!

I recently invested in a set of "Loop" ear plugs after seeing lots of ads for them. I have to say I'm very impressed with them. My partner got a pair too and she loves them as well. It's wind noise I find the most intrusive, I usually ride open face. Although the ear plugs do also seem to remove some of the engine rattle on the Norton so definitely a worthwhile upgrade ;D
Title: Re: Ear plugs
Post by: Rog1 on 11 Aug, 2026, 22:01
It's always a bit of a shock to hear your engine when you forget your earplugs! I'll look into these Loop earplugs, thanks.