BSA Owners' Club Workshop Discussions

Motorcycling Matters => General Motorcycling Subjects => Topic started by: Greenfield on 13 Dec, 2025, 09:36

Title: Inductive rev counter
Post by: Greenfield on 13 Dec, 2025, 09:36
A couple of years ago I fitted an inductive digital rev counter to my B33 ie. measuring the pulses in the HT lead from the magneto ('The Star' March 2023). I was wondering whether it was possible to have an analogue read out so that it would look more in keeping with classic bikes. There was a firm in Holland called Beckelektronika that used to make a kit to generate an analogue readout but they no longer do it. Anyone know of any other possibilities?
Title: Re: Inductive rev counter
Post by: iansoady on 13 Dec, 2025, 10:07
They're widely available eg https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264006167441

Strangely enough I'm just struggling trying to wire one to my B'Zuki as I've lost the original wiring layout!
Title: Re: Inductive rev counter
Post by: Greenfield on 13 Dec, 2025, 10:26
The link is for mechanical tachs, ie off a gearbox drive. The vast majority that I've seen for sale are for mechanical, or electronic -usually connected to the coil. Without a gearbox drive or coil, I think the only way to go is via a sensor wire wrapped round the plug lead. There are loads of these inductive types available, and I found that mine works really well, but as far as I can see, they all have digital readouts.
Title: Re: Inductive rev counter
Post by: rhyatt on 13 Dec, 2025, 11:42
They often have a self contained internal battery and are used for boat/tractor engine hours or rpm