BSA Owners' Club Workshop Discussions

The BSA Workshop => Lightweights => Topic started by: TTJOHN on 01 Jul, 2024, 18:47

Title: Charging system on Sunbeam 250cc twin scooter.
Post by: TTJOHN on 01 Jul, 2024, 18:47
Hello All

I am having a little trouble with my Sunbeam charging system, which I believe is affecting the running, it will start up with no problem, normally first kick, but after it's been running for a while it starts running very erratic, I have changed back to the original Zenith carb, from a delorto. I changed back because I thought that it was carburation problems,  but iut never made any difference
so I checked the charging system at the battery with an ampmeter and there didn't seem to be any charge going in.
Would this be the cause of the machine running rough after running out of charge ?
Whatr does the teram think ?

TTJohn
Title: Re: Charging system on Sunbeam 250cc twin scooter.
Post by: idie on 01 Jul, 2024, 22:47
As the voltage drops so will the coil misfire.
Title: Re: Charging system on Sunbeam 250cc twin scooter.
Post by: TTJOHN on 05 Jul, 2024, 09:29
Idie

That quite correct, I have now rectifiedd the problem and have replaced the stator, although the old one  didn't show any fault, it wasn't charging enough to cope. I have also gone back to an original Zenith carb which seems to be working fine.

TTJohn