BSA Owners' Club Workshop Discussions

The BSA Workshop => Lightweights => Topic started by: midlands_nick on 27 Apr, 2024, 13:41

Title: So is this the right place
Post by: midlands_nick on 27 Apr, 2024, 13:41
 As a Bsa owner (ariel 3) I figure out of all these forums this must be the place as its such a diminuitive machine compared to
such beasts as the mighty 500 goldstar,  I have a stock original bike, and a silly custom that is becoming a nightmare as I try
and fit more and more parts and tech into it !!  If you are interested happy to post some pics of all !!
Title: Re: So is this the right place
Post by: DAVE BRADY on 27 Apr, 2024, 15:39
Hi Nick,

Always interested.  Post some picks.

Dave.
Title: Re: So is this the right place
Post by: midlands_nick on 27 Apr, 2024, 20:08
 Here goes, new to all this forum lark...

Blue bike is mine "Henry"  stock bike bought from Bristol, came with a laod of spares and part bikes

(https://scontent-man2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/408923800_10232030464326025_8715229991163385737_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5f2048&_nc_ohc=rrWCoXuW_CkQ7kNvgEnFS-n&_nc_ht=scontent-man2-1.xx&oh=00_AfDm0995knJol1f4Fec2D84-ZQkGPrjO4zbxy3iDpIORpA&oe=66332220)

Some nutter with a 13hp Bsa Ariel 3,  known affectionately as "Charley"  has  hilarious performance, matches the hilarious suspension and hilarious brakes to be fair..
(https://scontent-man2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/424923175_3711977735697615_6996204435517766392_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5f2048&_nc_ohc=HGbCrQLHPTgQ7kNvgFjEjDV&_nc_ht=scontent-man2-1.xx&oh=00_AfDsaC7QX-I9YLMe9eJ_28-kjDr8SG30z4HRymRnC_8pQA&oe=66333327)

under the skin of "Charley"

(https://scontent-man2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/347234695_815045646904539_6040545301409932323_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5f2048&_nc_ohc=x81sOezf8dkAb7gz0Wl&_nc_ht=scontent-man2-1.xx&oh=00_AfAg0bONktDX6v8Ib112q8CPf2ZLsrTqzdgzmRmwW9qg4A&oe=663339AB)

Currently pulling this motor to fit an electric start version which is proving tricky as its fat and wide.. but I will manage is as struggling to kick the thing over





Title: Re: So is this the right place
Post by: iansoady on 28 Apr, 2024, 10:56
I seem to remember that the starting was tested by burly Armoury Road fitters who pronounced it satisfactory - completely forgetting that the target customer group was slightly built young ladies.....
Title: Re: So is this the right place
Post by: V500 on 28 Apr, 2024, 16:09
I seem to recall that even back then no-one really knew what it's intended market was, hence the ad slogan "here it is, whatever it is".
Title: Re: So is this the right place
Post by: Dean Southall on 28 Apr, 2024, 19:34
Looks like you're having fun!
It good to see people keeping the odd-balls alive. They are all part of BSA history.
Mind you as a recovering Beagle and Dandy restorer I am not sure I carry much credibility ;) ;D
Title: Re: So is this the right place
Post by: midlands_nick on 28 Apr, 2024, 21:43
oh having lots of fun, not sure how to post a lnk but heres some onboard footage shot just after fitting the new engine in preperation for my john ogroats to lands end trip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y90rnxT70kc (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y90rnxT70kc)

made a few tweaks but it did the run using this configuration, one burnt out clutch, one broken axle, two punctures  and one tyre worn out.
Title: Re: So is this the right place
Post by: Dean Southall on 03 Jun, 2024, 11:39
I take my hat off to you Nick.
Quite some achievement and I reckon as the bike gets smaller the fun factor increases.
Title: Re: So is this the right place
Post by: TTJOHN on 09 Jun, 2024, 12:31
Looking at your video on U Tube it looks like that thing is flying, So what sort of speed were you actually doing? everyonee has always rubished these little bikes but I suppose like eveything else it had it's place, I think they were only made for a runaround in town sort of thing.

TTJohn
Title: Re: So is this the right place
Post by: midlands_nick on 10 Aug, 2024, 22:07
have had 62 on the gps, wihch was scary as hell, only held it for a few seconds..  but iwll cruise at 50mph with ease and all day long,  will be at the bluebell cider meet at Elsewood with him if any of you guys are attending
Title: Re: So is this the right place
Post by: Kirtis on 05 Oct, 2024, 18:20
That's awesome you've got an Ariel 3! I've always found those smaller bikes to have so much character, even next to the big beasts like the Gold Star. Customizing can definitely be a challenge, especially when you start cramming in all that tech. I've had my fair share of DIY projects that turned into mini nightmares too! I'd love to see some pics of your rides; it's always cool to see how others are making their bikes unique.
Title: Re: So is this the right place
Post by: midlands_nick on 12 Nov, 2024, 22:24
not quite sure whre the pictures have vanished to, will ahve to try hosting them somewhere other than facebook or uploading them..  bike is however running well