BSA Owners' Club Workshop Discussions

The BSA Workshop => Lightweights => Topic started by: aerophil on 01 Apr, 2023, 21:17

Title: 175 scooter information
Post by: aerophil on 01 Apr, 2023, 21:17
Hi all

I have the opportunity of aquiring a 175 scooter. I have done a trawl of the net for information but not much comes up.
can someone point me in the right direction for info. All I know so far is that it has a similar engine to the Bantam which I know well.

best regards Phil
Title: Re: 175 scooter information
Post by: FizzyG on 02 Apr, 2023, 21:46
Hi Phil

What information are you looking for regarding the Scooter?, there are some very knowledgeable members on this forum, who have helped me out, if i can help you ? I have one myself

Kind regards
Andy
Title: Re: 175 scooter information
Post by: Spaceman on 03 Apr, 2023, 06:43
You should be able to find the spares catalogue and a user manual online - I have copies of both. I am sure FizzyG will be in a better position to advise on spares availability but the fact that the 175 cc engine was based on that from a Bantam should help.

I was brought up messing about with Italian scooters but have never been close to a Sunbeam scooter and have never ridden one. The Tigress/Sunbeam scooters were designed by the legendary Edward Turner at Triumph. Although Turner was renowned for this styling of Triumph motorcycles, at least up to the later 1950's, he then went through his 'bathtub' styling phase that you either like or hate with his Tigress/Sunbeam scooter sharing this styling approach to some extent. Having owned a 'bathtub' Triumph 5TA in my youth, I unfortunately tend to fall into the latter category!
Title: Re: 175 scooter information
Post by: TTJOHN on 05 Apr, 2023, 10:07
Hello Phil.
The scooter you are after, a 175cc, is it the Triumph Tina, or is it the same as the Sunbeam/Triumph Tigress? which is got a bigger body, so will need a different parts book. I have a spares book for parts also the hand book for Sunbeam. Give me a shout if I can help.