BSA Owners' Club Workshop Discussions

The BSA Workshop => Sidecars => Topic started by: Guitarzanbikes on 27 Apr, 2022, 14:24

Title: Watsonian Palma front seat
Post by: Guitarzanbikes on 27 Apr, 2022, 14:24
Hi has anyone got a photo of, or can let me take photo's of an original Watsonian Palma sidecar seat? The original seat is still fitted to mine however it has been recovered at some time in the past, not to brilliantly unfortunately. The sidecar still has the original child hammock seat in the back so I'm hoping to match that if possible as the rest of the sidecar is pretty well unrestored and original.
Title: Re: Watsonian Palma front seat
Post by: DAVE BRADY on 27 Apr, 2022, 14:56
Hi,

I found this if it is of any use.  It the same as the one I used to have except mine was a blue/grey colour.  The fold up front part of the seat was great for ease of getting in and out.

Dave.
Title: Re: Watsonian Palma front seat
Post by: Guitarzanbikes on 28 Apr, 2022, 15:34
Hi Dave, cheers for the pic it helps a lot, the seat i have looks something like that but isn't quite right, it has the original back, base and folding front bit so maybe a vehicle upholsterer can make something that looks more like the one in the picture. As an alternative i found an old note in "The Star" from May 1980 saying a Triumph Herald seat fits straight in, they will be pretty rare these days but there is one on ebay so that's a thought, thanks again.
Title: Re: Watsonian Palma front seat
Post by: DAVE BRADY on 28 Apr, 2022, 15:59
Hi,

With out looking it up I am trying to think who put the Herald seat in their sidecar.  I found something else around the same time, I think a Hillman Imp, but the legs had to be cut off or the passenger would sit too high.  Something like a Reliant seat may also do as they are not very bulky.

Dave.
Title: Re: Watsonian Palma front seat
Post by: TTJOHN on 28 Jul, 2022, 12:07
Hello Dave

Is that the same as the one I had off of you?  I will get it back on the road sometime, I have not seen it for a while as it's in  my mates place, together with the bike. I know hat I restored and re painted the sidecar and I did manage to get a bucket seat that will fit, I do remember that.

TTJohn
Title: Re: Watsonian Palma front seat
Post by: DAVE BRADY on 28 Jul, 2022, 12:30
Hi John,

Yes pretty much.  The Palmer had the child adult arrangement with a screen around the back bit and the Monaco was single seat had the boot lid.  The Monza was smaller with single seat and no opening boot lid but storage behind the seat.

Dave.