BSA Owners' Club Workshop Discussions

The BSA Workshop => Sidecars => Topic started by: COLLIG1 on 23 Nov, 2021, 23:05

Title: 1961 Coach built Watsonian Sidecar screen
Post by: COLLIG1 on 23 Nov, 2021, 23:05
Hi All,
I purchased a 1961 BSA A10 Golden Flash back when I was 17 (yes that was a while ago now - 1979), I am only the second owner and purchased it as a unit (original) with a 1961 Coach Built Watsonian sidecar, now unfortunately over the many years on the road and plenty of messing around with friends who thought they needed to lean out of the unit to keep it on the road, the screen eventually suffered a large split and is now in need of replacing.
I am in the process of a full bike and sidecar restoration and I'm not sure of the best place to get a new screen, I originally thought of going to a sign maker to have one cut and shaped from plexiglass which would help it last much longer but thought better of it and am now at a pass.
Does anybody have any suggestions of where I may be able to get a replacement screen
Thanks for reading
Title: Re: 1961 Coach built Watsonian Sidecar screen
Post by: Willie Dee on 24 Nov, 2021, 03:17
Here, I would try an outfit called Plant Glazing but they seem to be mostly in Scotland but you may have something similar where you are.
Title: Re: 1961 Coach built Watsonian Sidecar screen
Post by: DAVE BRADY on 24 Nov, 2021, 07:48
Hi,

Try Watsonian. 

Watsonian Squire Ltd,
Unit 72, Northwick Business Centre,
Blockley, Moreton-in-Marsh,
Glos
GL56 9RF, UK
Tel: 01386 700907

Dave.
Title: Re: 1961 Coach built Watsonian Sidecar screen
Post by: idie on 24 Nov, 2021, 09:51
I used to make my screens out of perspex and mold them using an electric fire to make them pliable.
Title: Re: 1961 Coach built Watsonian Sidecar screen
Post by: COLLIG1 on 24 Nov, 2021, 21:07
Hey all, thanks for your suggestions, and sorry for the delay in replying due to my working shifts, I have now mailed Watsonian so let's see what comes back and I will take it from there, I will update this thread with the outcome so thanks again chaps
Title: Re: 1961 Coach built Watsonian Sidecar screen
Post by: Dean Southall on 02 Dec, 2021, 12:44
When I had to make one for the same model I made a frame from ally which I could bend by hand an used cobex to make the screen. The cobex was thin and flexible so easy to shape to the screen especiallly as there are no complex curves. The hood poppers doubled as the means od fixing the cobex to the frame. It worked fine for many miles of daily use
Title: Re: 1961 Coach built Watsonian Sidecar screen
Post by: Y13 Alan G on 03 Dec, 2021, 10:47
I have made several sidecar screens all from clear acrylic which you can easily bend using a hairdryer. All were made over 20 years ago and of course clear acrylic does not go yellow with age. Sheets easily bought in various thicknesses.