Author Topic: Bike prices with mass job redundancies looming  (Read 667 times)

hoogerbooger

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
Re: Bike prices with mass job redundancies looming
« Reply #15 on: 18 October, 2020, 20:12:50 »
I've created my B40 and am busily digging a side shaft in the sacred valley for us.
« Last Edit: 18 October, 2020, 20:14:40 by hoogerbooger »

« Reply #16 on: 19 October, 2020, 16:08:09 »
yep, might have some time post apocalypse and i have been putting off taking the M21 engine apart for long enough. New bearings, valves, etc, but I am a bit stuck with getting the barrel rebored since i don't have a lathe so if an Owners Club lathe owning member could let me know his/her bug out location before the 5g network goes down, it would be much appreciated.
john

Greenfield

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 20 October, 2020, 13:34:36 »
.... and does anyone know of a B24 needing a good home?

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 20 October, 2020, 13:49:55 »
Hi,

I am waiting for when people start dumping Gold Stars and Rocket 3s in the skip because they no longer have a value or will cost no more than tin of beans and a dead rat.  But then again, I will probably need the beans and the rat myself.

Dave.

griffo

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 20 October, 2020, 19:29:45 »
I don't think we needed a brain surgeon to think prices are slowly dropping. They have been pre covid as there were many re-listed etc. Sadly there are no , or very few, younger riders enjoying the old Brit Iron. Listing prices have been high but price obtained has been kept under the radar.  How many members on this site are multi bike owners ?  Yes more than you thought. To me , lets just get on with our pleasure and not worry about the prices as smiles doing miles are priceless....    Griff
Safe riding saves pinch marks on the seat...

B Murphy

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 20 October, 2020, 19:49:50 »
Don't think anyone on here is worrying at the moment, but if losing the job with no income and mortgage and bills to pay the first things to go on ebay will be the bike, car, boat might not be in that order, and in 6 months time when nobody is buying cause they are all out of work....just saying.

Editor

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 21 October, 2020, 12:12:49 »
Thanks for all your comments!

For what it's worth, I think think that if you want to own the BSA of your dreams where all the hard work and expense has been done, and you have the room and spare cash, then now is the time to buy as there are some good deals out there.

If you are of the Serial Restorer variety as many of us are, and I am amongst you there, then be careful what you are prepared to pay for that next project. The days of 'whatever we spend on it we will get back' are truly behind us in my humble opinion.

However, we shouldn't let that put us off doing restorations as there is a lot of pleasure to be had with this activity. But, just remind ourselves that it now costs north of 4000 to restore a rusty wreck to near showroom condition, particularly if there is a lot of shiny chrome bits on it and you rely on painting by professionals like me. This applies across the board from Super Rocket to C15.
So, we should not be scared to say we are interested in that bike on offer but also we need to remind the seller of what it will cost us to restore when explaining why we are offering a realistic price. More so if it a dealer we are talking to. The seller can always say no.

As I said, there are some cracking machines out there, just take a look in forthcoming editions of The Star!

Chris

MGI

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 21 October, 2020, 13:30:35 »
In my (humble) experience it has always been the case that your machine (relic) will always be worth far less than the cost of a professional restoration, whether done in house or contracted out. Obviously, in the fullness of time, this imbalance will reverse but it is a long term investment. The only people who profit in the short term from 'full on' restorations are the professional bodies who do it for a living using other peoples machines and other peoples money. call me old fashioned!

A10 JWO

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 10 November, 2020, 16:31:29 »
Bess. I have a 125 Gilera Cougar barn find with 4000 miles on it. 200.

Bess

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 10 November, 2020, 19:00:47 »
Hi A10 JWO,

Thanks for the offer I am after something a bit older such as a B31 or B33, preferably a plunger if possible.

Paul has pointed me in the right direction for quite a few but they are either going for silly money or difficult to sort out due to the lockdown at the moment.

Best wishes...