Author Topic: Bike prices with mass job redundancies looming  (Read 670 times)

B Murphy

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
Bike prices with mass job redundancies looming
« on: 05 October, 2020, 17:42:32 »
Any thoughts on how you think the price of our bikes will be effected by the ever increasing number of job losses that are looming? I see ebay prices for BSA's are somewhat very high.

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: Bike prices with mass job redundancies looming
« Reply #1 on: 05 October, 2020, 18:04:09 »
Hi,

Our bikes have two values.  Market value and personal value.  The affect of redundancies causing the release of lots of BSAs on to the market may reduce their market value but for how long?  There could be an equal number of people taking advantage of the situation so perhaps a cancelling out.
I have never thought of our BSAs as an asset and we have held on to them through some tough times and the only reason we would move them on would be our inability to ride them.

Dave.

Bess

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 October, 2020, 19:57:24 »
Hi,
    Hopefully they will crash, looking for a large single  :)

Best wishes...

Editor

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 October, 2020, 20:15:29 »
I've been following the prices of A65's on ebay for a few weeks now. The only prices which are valid are the actual sold prices. As such, forget the classified ad prices as you never know whether they have actually sold.

In the last few weeks up and running and immediately useable A65 Thunderbolts have been sold for between 2900 and 3900. OIF models have struggled to beat 3500.
A couple of Lightnings have been sold also, one is a 1970 (Starfire Tank) all up together, in good condition, sold by auction for 4500 another 1967 model sold by a dealer for 4650.
Now, pre 2020, these machines were selling for upwards of 4500 for a Thunderbolt and 5000 - 6000+ for a Lightning.
So, if you are thinking of selling but don't need to, you may want to consider holding fire? If you are buying, well, at current prices, they appear to be excellent value for money.

If only had room for one more in my garage!
Chris

« Reply #4 on: 14 October, 2020, 11:15:17 »
I agree with Dave Brady in not seeing my BSA M21 as an "asset". Work of art, engineering beauty, maybe,, but not an "asset". There are going to be huge numbers of unemployed people and although this may sound gloomy there will be NO RECOVERY. It is not possible because this is not just about a virus, it's about the fact that we have over consumed for so many years that we either change now, and drastically, or our civilisation will collapse. Wages will not just stagnate, in many cases they will cease to be. The government will introduce huge work programmes, people may even get paid in food and mortgage/rent subsidies. In terms of a salary with cost of living rises, forget it, that is all over - for good. Where does that leave our BSA's? Hopefully in the garage as they always are! Out for a run on occasions, or even regularly as i do on my 1958 M21. In other words, no change as long as you don't see your beloved BSA as an asset to be profitted out of, no change. If you do buy and sell BSA's for profit, then shame on you, these are not commodities to be used for profit, they are a part of our history and a precious work of beauty so far as i am concerned.
john

Trev

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 October, 2020, 15:58:51 »
In terms of a salary with cost of living rises, forget it, that is all over - for good.
Do you really think so? COE's, board members and the like, will exempt themselves from such indignities. I don't think you will see any company chairmen forgoing their bonuses. As for regarding your BSA as an investment or an asset it is totally missing the point. There is nothing more depressing than when I'm out and about on my bike and someone will inevitably say when looking it over "I bet that's worth a few quid" or something similar. It's value to me is the fun and enjoyment I get out of riding it.

BEESY

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 October, 2020, 16:47:04 »
Yeah. A bit doom and gloom that. We'll get over it. Even if things take a hard hit, they will be built back up. It's human nature. You may give up but the youth won't. They will find a way.

Re values of bikes. They may take a hit. They may not, it only matters if your looking to buy or sell. We on here enjoy owning them and maintaining them. It's my hobby. I'm not particularly bothered by its value. I suppose I would be in the event of an Insurance claim. May have to be prepared for a lower than expected pay out if values are dropping.

MGI

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 October, 2020, 17:41:03 »
I don't think that analysis of the future is based on reality... We have (as a nation) faced far worse & survived, as have many other nations. The future is good, the glass half full!

cee-b

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 October, 2020, 17:57:55 »

................ I'm not particularly bothered by its value. I suppose I would be in the event of an Insurance claim. May have to be prepared for a lower than expected pay out if values are dropping.

If you've got it on an agreed value policy, then 'market' value isn't an issue. If you haven't, then I'd get one - it only costs me around 15 more for agreed value then it would for book value. The difference between the 2 figures is quite considerable though.

MGI

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 October, 2020, 18:31:44 »
With Peter S Taylor & Co you get agreed value as standard, it is only necessary to supply 4 photographs of the machine. They are based in Hove. To add my second bike to the policy was around 15.00. Both on agreed value! They advertise in the monthlies.

BEESY

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 October, 2020, 19:33:37 »
Yeah got agreed value. But they may want to reduce at renewal  it if values are dropping dropping.

Editor

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 October, 2020, 16:41:46 »
Yes and the bike needs to be all together and complete before taking the photos, not like my Ariel NH that has been mostly in the loft for the past 4 years! The frame and engine are in the garage but that's only because they were too big and/or heavy to get through the hatch.
However, it is the next one up on the bench!
Chris

BEEZABRYAN

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 October, 2020, 11:52:42 »
I'm none too fussed, the Flash & a Box owe me nothing, we have had great times together and so long as it covers a decent send off for me on my last big adventure & a bit left over then so be it.

« Reply #13 on: 18 October, 2020, 19:19:27 »
yes MGI we have faced trouble before and come through, but this is different. I cannot explain in a paragraph why i think this is different but I know it is. I think we are headed for a world like portrayed in Mad Max or the like. The dust blew over Egyptian monuments (if they were indeed Egyptian), and nothing was known about this great civilisation until around 1850. I am afraid this is where we are going and there is nothing we can do to stop it. The irony is that if I survive the apocalypse, what will survive with me is my old trust M21 !!
john

Bess

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 October, 2020, 20:04:42 »
Hi,
    Still looking for a cheap B33 or B31, I need something to do in my bunker whilst waiting for the apocalypse, anything considered.

Best wishes...