Author Topic: Which wheel bearings.  (Read 116 times)

A10 JWO

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Which wheel bearings.
« on: 23 September, 2020, 18:06:38 »
Just rebuilt a front wheel. The bearings seemed fine when I checked them, no noise or rumbles. Now the spindle is in there is slight friction on the spin by hand. I am considering new bearings which are not expensive, but which ones. There are sealed pairs for sale for 10 inc post ? I do like packing bearing's with grease. Am I  behind the times. I welcome your views ?

chaz

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: Which wheel bearings.
« Reply #1 on: 23 September, 2020, 22:18:20 »
personal choice, its either SKF or RHP but another option is Koyo which are oem fit on Japanese bikes and easier to get for needle bearings . As you say, they arent dear but Ive found cheap Chinese a waste of money. I had a customer supply Chinese crank bearings for an Ariel Square 4 rebuild. when we went to fit them they fell  out!! and they were supplied by a leading Ariel parts supplier.
definately 2RS, 2 rubber seals o keep the dirt and water out.

Bess

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: Which wheel bearings.
« Reply #2 on: 24 September, 2020, 10:19:18 »
Hi,
       I use wheel bearings with rubber seals to prevent moisture and girt ingress. I'm not  tempted with metal shields as they have some mechanical protection which is not needed in the wheel. They also only offer limited protection against moisture and dirt.

I shop around and buy the best I can get on my budget.

Open bearings will fail earlier than the sealed type. Terotechnology studies changed engineering designs to reduce maintenance and increase reliability of machinery, the sealed bearings solved the bearing issues.

Best wishes...