Author Topic: Brake Shoes.  (Read 359 times)

A10 JWO

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Brake Shoes.
« on: 21 September, 2020, 16:57:47 »
I have an old 500 barn find I have started work on. There is no history due to owner not available any more. The rear brake shoes are the old riveted type and just glazed in places with loads of meat on them. The drum has no scores at all which is good. Question, would the shoes respond to a good sanding and brake cleaner on the drum. They were probably made better than the modern crap. I did a couple of miles on the bike and this brake was rubbish ( it is British ) ? Thanks

Bess

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: Brake Shoes.
« Reply #1 on: 22 September, 2020, 08:59:46 »
Hi,
     Might be worth sending the shoes here for an expert analysis:

Saftek Friction Ltd, BD19 5LT.

In the past I have contacted them first, letting them know which bike I have, my expectations and never been disappointed.

Best wishes...

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 September, 2020, 09:32:36 »
Whether they would be better than modern is debatable, there were a number of materials used with diffrent characteristics for different applications. Molded and woven. Some woven ones had included zinc wire to improve fade resistance. Some of the ferodo linings from the 1960s actually have the lining material type on the edge and you might still be able to see marking if not too worn.

Photo shows what I mean. This one is Ferodo AM14 as used originally on the BSA/Triumph 1968-70  8 inch tls brake.

The glaze usually means not bedded in yet or could indicate not rivetted properly leaving some air gaps between lining an shoe.

A10 JWO

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 September, 2020, 14:59:03 »
I sanded them with clean sand paper and they came up really well. The shoes had been put on the wrong way round which did not help the cause. I think they will fight another day. Fortunately the front stops like a modern disc brake. Thanks everyone.