Author Topic: Cleaning agents.  (Read 256 times)

A10 JWO

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Cleaning agents.
« on: 20 September, 2020, 10:30:24 »
I have most general products like Gunk, Jizer, carb cleaning aerosol's etc. I am going to tackle a filthy brake drum. Do I have to buy brake cleaner or can I use petrol or thinners. Thanks.

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning agents.
« Reply #1 on: 20 September, 2020, 12:24:51 »
Hi,

Diesel can be quite good at cleaning filthy stuff and I always have some WD40 handy as that can be useful for cleaning as well.
Gunk etc. does not seem as good as it used to be and a spray can of brake cleaner never seems to be enough and works out quite expensive.

Dave.

chaz

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 September, 2020, 16:35:06 »
if you are anything like me, there is usually a can of old stale fuel lying around, Ive got 30 or 40 litres in jerry cans from various customer and my own bikes, I use that for grease and oil removal. for the inside of the drums I would use brake cleaner, I get mine in cans for 1 so not that expensive, that just gets rid of any oil or 2 stroke or octane improver left in the stale fuel.

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 September, 2020, 19:52:00 »
 :) :) :)

The name escapes me, but you can get a water based general cleaner which will cut thro oil and grease then just swill off.

I cant even look at the can cos I gave it away a couple of weeks back.

Mike 8) 8) 8) 8)

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 September, 2020, 10:25:53 »
 :) :) :) :)

The one that I use is on Ebay  No 250582115691.

I've used it for years with generally good results.

Mike 8) 8) 8) 8)

Rog1

• Royal Star
  • M33 Plunger and teles.
    • View Profile
    • The North Bucks Wanderer
« Reply #5 on: 21 September, 2020, 16:03:49 »
I've used the Car Care Engine Degreaser, made by Astonish. This may be the water based product Mike Farmer referred to. The trouble is, it isn't easy to find at a reasonable price. It should be 3 for 750ml, but I've seen it for twice that. I couldn't get any, so instead I bought this degreaser from Screwfix: https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-heavy-duty-degreaser-5ltr/88668#product_additional_details_container

Five litres are 8.99, and for cleaning the oil off my BSA, I dilute it 1:1. Whichever I use, I use a spray bottle to apply the degreaser, then another spray bottle with hot water to rinse. Spraying is the way to go, because I can get the stuff to all sorts of places that I can see but cannot touch.

A10 JWO

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 October, 2020, 17:47:34 »
Thanks, Screwfix Tomorrow. 8.99  8)