Author Topic: Valiant  (Read 387 times)

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Valiant
« on: 13 August, 2020, 18:53:27 »
Not sure this is allowed, as it's nothing to do with BSA. But as pretty much all my (many) other posts are about my B40, I hope I'll be forgiven. Just looking at a picture of a Velocette Valiant. I remember seeing one at the Shelton Mallet Show back in February. Very unusual looking, isn't it? I can see it's a horizontal twin, but what's under the metalwork above the cylinders is a mystery to me. Quite an attractive curiosity of a bike, it seems to me. Not that I'd ever buy one, as I wouldn't have a clue about it and wouldn't have a forum like this to patiently guide me on my every step.  Phil

Old Biker

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
Re: Valiant
« Reply #1 on: 13 August, 2020, 22:14:50 »
Hi Phil
The tinware just basically covers a space, bike looks pretty odd without the panels. The Valiant was my first “proper” bike 60 years ago!
Cheers Old Biker

Hope the pic works

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 August, 2020, 22:49:56 »
Very nice and thanks, Old Biker.  Phil

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 August, 2020, 10:50:01 »
 :) :) :)

Very interesting bit of kit. Must confess I've never heard of it.

Would someone kindly like to add to this info with a few details like engine size and manufacturer. and anything else.

Mike 8) 8) 8)

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 August, 2020, 11:32:46 »
Velocette Valiant.

Some details from Glass's Motor Cycle check books 1946-65 below.

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 August, 2020, 11:34:41 »
A few more details from Newnes Motor cycle data book 1962 issue.

Old Biker

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 August, 2020, 11:53:26 »
Hi Mike
Some “user” anecdotal info to support Julian’s data. As mentioned in my reply to Phil this was my first bike whilst still at school, used it to pass my test. Went to Scotland two up for a holiday. This tested the whole 192cc’s as you can imagine!
Returned close to 65mpg during the trip cruised at around 55mph not the most exiting bike in the world but very reliable, started easily and handled very well for the time. Gave me a great introduction to biking, remember this was in the days before compulsory crash helmets, kept it until school was behind me and working life started then got my first B31  :)

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 August, 2020, 12:06:51 »
Hi,

Imagine what might have been if Velo' had developed this bike and not stuck with an out of date design single.

Dave.

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 August, 2020, 12:18:19 »
I wonder whether parts and knowledge are very available.  Phil

BEEZABRYAN

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 August, 2020, 12:45:56 »
https://www.velocetteowners.com/

There will many other sources  - Facebook groups etc

Google is your friend

« Last Edit: 14 August, 2020, 12:50:15 by BEEZABRYAN »

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 August, 2020, 13:07:23 »
Hi Mike
Some “user” anecdotal info to support Julian’s data. As mentioned in my reply to Phil this was my first bike whilst still at school, used it to pass my test. Went to Scotland two up for a holiday. This tested the whole 192cc’s as you can imagine!
Returned close to 65mpg during the trip cruised at around 55mph not the most exiting bike in the world but very reliable, started easily and handled very well for the time. Gave me a great introduction to biking, remember this was in the days before compulsory crash helmets, kept it until school was behind me and working life started then got my first B31  :)
Sounds like a very good subject for a magazine article.

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 August, 2020, 14:33:46 »
 :) :) :) :)

Thats a whole bunch of info. Thanks to all. Please keep the info coming.

Once again the old cry tho; Where would it have gone if they hadn't stuck rigidly to the old and largely outdated formats. Innovation was 'at 'en??????

Example :); 1928 after a military tattoo Field Marshall Haig is reported to have said "Those tanks are slendid things,, but they'll never replace the horse".

Superior education and lateral thinking?????????????????//

Mike

Editor

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 August, 2020, 16:41:07 »
As  serial Velo enthusiast back in my teens/twenties (Velo Venom), I can tell you all about this model. It was a spin off from the LE in that it had virtually the same engine except it was air cooled and OHV, not water cooled and side valve like the LE. It was a great little bike to add to your collection back then and probably still is. Faster than the LE but then everything else was in those days. They did them in black and dark green. Mind you the lE is a very pleasant bike to ride (if you aren't in a hurry) very smooth and virtually silent. Try one if you ever get a chance.
Chris

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 August, 2020, 18:45:52 »
I'd like that. Mind you, I'm 6'4" so might look a bit comical. Phil

MGI

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 14 August, 2020, 20:20:01 »
Although somewhat similar to the LE, they looked far more modern and they were far more nippy courtesy of the OHV set up, not as silent as the watercooled LE's which were extensively employed by the Constabulary hence the nickname "Noddy Bikes" . Oddly the LE featured a hand start, similar to a kick start but not cranked and designed to be operated by hand.