Author Topic: C15 not starting  (Read 119 times)

courtney

• Star
    • View Profile
C15 not starting
« on: 31 July, 2020, 14:21:07 »
Hello,

Thank you firstly to everyone that helped with setting the timing on my 1965 C15.

After managing to set the timing, I'm finally round to trying to start it. It's getting a spark and fuel, but it won't seem to run. I'll charge the battery to see if it helps, but I wanted to try bump starting it.

It's so bloody hot today, and not the weather to be running around the garden trying to start an old bike, but it's the weather to be out riding it. Trouble is, when it's in gear, and the clutch is pulled in, it's very hard to push.

First gear the wheel won't turn. Second gear, the wheel turns but it's very hard to push. I used to push start it before I stripped and rebuilt it, and it was a lot easier, so wondering if I need to adjust the clutch. Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks.
1965 BSA C15
1969 BSA B25 (US spec.)
2004 Aprilia Tuono

johnan

• Star
    • View Profile
Re: C15 not starting
« Reply #1 on: 31 July, 2020, 23:04:23 »
If the timing is correct and you have a spark, and you don’t flood it by tickling it too long a C15 should start almost first or second kick. If it is in good mechanical condition.
It took me a number if attempts to find the right way to start mine, then it worked most times. If it failed to start I took the plug out dried it, kicked the engine over a few times to clear the unburnt fuel and tried again, it would usually start.
Mine had the enrichment or choke lever fitted, which I used to not use having read that most people ditched it as being useless, but I found my best starting method was to switch the fuel on, give plenty of time for the float chamber to fill to the point the needle valve in the float chamber shuts off the flow, do not tickle it at all, shut the choke or enrichment lever, give it two kicks and it would usually fire up.
If you don’t have the choke then experiment with how long you tickle it for, they seem to “flood” very easily if tickled too long. All these engines have their own preferred method of starting, find yours and remember it! I needed my throttle to be very slightly open while kicking it over to start it.
Trying to bump start it is an exhausting frustrating exercise on a heavy old bike.
C15 1961
MG Midget 1976
Aygo xclusiv 2019

courtney

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 July, 2020, 23:40:00 »
Many thanks for the advice.

I used to bump start it before I rebuilt it and it wasn't too hard. It feels a bit harder now, so that's why I was querying the clutch adjustment.

I'll check the wiring again and clean the carb tomorrow. If anyone has any other suggestions that would be good.

Thanks again.
1965 BSA C15
1969 BSA B25 (US spec.)
2004 Aprilia Tuono

TTJOHN

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 August, 2020, 11:31:11 »
Courtney,
Check that you have a good earth on the battery leads also all the other earth wires, I just did a complete engine rebuild and after that it would not start, checked everything including the spark at the plug, the clue to the fault was identified by switching the lights on, nothing, jiggled the wires about and then I had lights and horn, traced the fault to a broken wire which was touching and making contact but not permanent, any vibration and I lost contact and ignition.

HTH TTJohn

courtney

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 August, 2020, 12:01:05 »
Thanks John.

I actually just cleaned up the earthing points before reading this. My lights aren't working, only the one in the speedo is. The horn worked yesterday. I've just come in to get my manual and check through the wiring and make sure it's all ok. I'll do as you suggest, thank you!

I have converted it to 12 volt. New points and condenser, new 12v coil and battery, solid state reg/rec and changed the bulbs. Have fitted a fuse on the negative battery lead too. Is there anything else I need to do? I remember reading something about a wire in a switch, is that right?
1965 BSA C15
1969 BSA B25 (US spec.)
2004 Aprilia Tuono

Blackthou

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 August, 2020, 21:03:53 »
Hi Courtney,

Aside from your starting issues - with which I wish you well, it does sound like a serious case of clutch drag. What's it like on the centre stand in first gear with the clutch in, does the rear wheel spin freely?