Author Topic: petrol tank  (Read 2266 times)

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
petrol tank
« on: 09 June, 2017, 14:39:41 »
 :)

Just taken it out of the rust tank and in the process of rubbing the residual rust off and drying. When its completely dry on the outside I'll give it a quick coat of rust inhibitor (WD40) then let inside dry completely.

After a couple of weeks,,when its bone dry internally I'll get about a foot of 1/2" chain on a longish string and use it to scrub the inside and clean out any final bits that may be stuck to the corners.

Then another 24 hours in the bath to complete the job.

After that see what needs doing to make it look like a beesa tank again.

All takes time.

Mike 8)

SLIPPERY SAM

• Star
    • View Profile
Re: petrol tank
« Reply #1 on: 09 June, 2017, 15:13:37 »
Mike,
This tank is coming along great.  Wish I'd tried this method myself - I went a different route and ended up repainting (was an oil tank though).  Might give it a try on a spare oil tank I have for future reference.
BTW - WD40 is not the best rust inhibitor.  in fact it's banned in a few industries for the reason it can actually cause rust under some circumstances - I'm sure there'll have been a debate about it on here before!  Napier's gun oil is good!
Raymond.

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 June, 2017, 17:27:14 »
Hi :)
Yes I'm aware of the "vagaries" of WD40 but this will only be for a week or so with luck. Then once its been in the tub agen I've got to completely re do the outside anyway. The chrome is flaking so I'll probably clean the flake and then paint it. We'll have to see what the primer comes out like. Probably use a seriously high build primer to fill the flaking affect.
Don't know yet as I really don't have any need for this tank at the moment so basically experimenting. I'll keep any interested parties here in the loop. AND if it all turns to worms I'll tell you that as well

Mike 8)

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 June, 2017, 10:29:17 »

I took a wire brush to the side of the tank yesterday and a large area of old chrome came away. Underneath was a couple of square inches of "quite serious" pitting. Its impossible to tell how deep this is in relation to the wall thickness.

So bearing in mind this is an out of use tank I have decided to cut a piece out of the bottom so I can check out the inside. There are a couple of dings that I can deal with properly at the same time. Then I think maybe the way to go will be to lead fill the pitted area to give it a bit more body than filler. In one place there appears to be a very small rust hole which may need a spot of brass.

I'm definitely feeling my way with this one, so who knows: - perhaps I'll just end up with a scrap tank that was scrap from the day I found it. Tuff

Mike ::) 

Dean Southall

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 June, 2017, 22:45:35 »
If you are feeling adventurous you could try stripping the plating. The method is the same as the reverse electrolysis but using a diluted acid soluton rather than soda.
Don't breathe the fumes !
BSA: turning ordinary men into mechanics since 1910

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 June, 2017, 10:05:49 »
 :D

Thanks dean. Might go to that eventually but the external pitting would make a re chrome very difficult.

Mike 8)

Dean Southall

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 June, 2017, 16:21:57 »
I was not really thinking of you stripping the chrome in prep for a replate (platers could easily do that). I was really responding to you saying that the chrome was peeling in places. If so it mighrt decide to lift in other places in the future, buggering any paint job.
BTW, pretty badly pitted stuff can be replated as long as there is some metal left after pickling off the rust. Good platers will thickly copper plate and polish the copper, rather than the original steel.
Some platers can put so much on you can't get your headlamp rim back on: AMHIK :(
BSA: turning ordinary men into mechanics since 1910

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 June, 2017, 19:52:18 »

I'm with you on most of this except at the mo I'm really only experimenting to see what can be done most easily. I don't think at this st ag e that I really would go down the rechrome line. If I do then I'll take it to "my guys" and have the full job done. Not the way I really wish to go with a buckshee tank. I'll keep you posted, might even try to copper it myself now you've put it in my mind.

Mike ;D