Author Topic: Possible Damage to Forks During Transport  (Read 313 times)

Jim S

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
Possible Damage to Forks During Transport
« on: 27 July, 2020, 18:45:05 »
I had a flat tire last week and had to have my 1957 A7 transported home on a flat bed tow truck. I think the driver may have been a little to aggressive on cinch down of the front end because now, in the garage, I have two little puddles of oil on each side of my front wheel.

Has anyone had this happen? I am wondering what kind of damage has been done to the fork assemblies. Is it possible that oil was forced through the seals without actually causing damage, and the oil I am seeing is what accumulated in the chrome seal housings. Is this thinking too optimistic?

chaz

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: Possible Damage to Forks During Transport
« Reply #1 on: 27 July, 2020, 22:15:16 »
definately a case of too heavy handed, I only ever compress the forks by around an inch, to stop movement when moving customers bikes.
sounds like the oil is forced past the seals, apart from the drain screws its the only way for the oil to get out.
years ago I had a pick up by a recovery independant, ended up getting damaged parts

Jim S

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
Re: Possible Damage to Forks During Transport
« Reply #2 on: 13 November, 2020, 21:25:53 »
Snow is in the forecast so I have terminated my riding season. Decided to investigate the leaking forks caused by the agressive tow truck operator this past summer.

On the right hand fork I found the circlip that retains the upper bush had popped out of place and was nicely nestled in the oil seal cavity. The seal and all other parts appeared in good condition.

On the left hand fork, the circlip was still in place. The seal and all the other parts looked good.

I guess the oil leaks were initiated by high pressure oil pushing past the threads of the oil seal holder. On the previous fork build, I only put nylon cord around the recess at the bottom of the threads of the fork sliding tube per the BSA Service Sheet. On this rebuild, I have put nylon cord in the recess and pink PTFE tape on the threads. Pink tape is intended for petroleum applications.

Good thing that the second circlip stayed in place, otherwise an Evil Knievel style jump would have been catastrophic. :P