Author Topic: How to straighten a footrest.  (Read 207 times)

A10 JWO

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
How to straighten a footrest.
« on: 25 July, 2020, 16:35:32 »
My old footrest has obviously been on the floor at some stage. It is almost touching the clutch crank case. What sort of temperature will I need to put this in a vice and bend it back. I think these were made of Pig Iron. ( Are we allowed to say that ) ? Thanks. 

idie

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
Re: How to straighten a footrest.
« Reply #1 on: 25 July, 2020, 18:12:35 »
In all the years I have owned BSAs I have never thought about heating foot rests to straight them. Never had the means of heating them. Wrong maybe. I have just put them in a vice and put a pole or bar on them and straightened them. Never had one break or fracture.

TTJOHN

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 July, 2020, 18:13:52 »
A10 JWO.

No problem at all with that just stick it in the vice and get a bar on the end of it and bend it cold, I believe they are cast steel, I done many and I dare say I will have to do a few more, never broke one yet.

TTJ

A10 JWO

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 July, 2020, 18:42:15 »
Thanks lads, we have a vice and a pole.

Editor

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 July, 2020, 10:45:29 »
They are a steel forging so should be reasonably malleable and not break. Any heat is better than no heat. A butane torch would struggle to get up to red heat (propane is better) but you could put it in the oven on max temp for an hour, then apply a blow torch.
Good luck!