Author Topic: B33 plunger rocker oil feed  (Read 362 times)

Greenfield

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
B33 plunger rocker oil feed
« on: 24 June, 2021, 11:41:50 »
Just got the old B33 started and wanted to check that oil was getting to the rockers, having replaced the banjo bolts. After it had warmed up, I removed the spindle dome nuts and was expecting oil to dribble out. I know that the rocker oil supply is pretty minimal, but there was nothing. Any thoughts would be welcome.

Pete C

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
Re: B33 plunger rocker oil feed
« Reply #1 on: 24 June, 2021, 12:17:51 »
the rocker spindles are not drilled all the way through. When you remove the done nuts it looks llike there is a hole but in fact it is either just a dimple or very short hole which does not connect with the oil gallery which is fed by the oil lines.

If you want to check feed to the rockes just loosen the banjo bolts (one at a time) and then mop up the oil that dribbles out. If you want to be 100% sure that the spindles are not blocked (very unlikely) you can take off the rocker cover, put your finger over the return in the oil tank and you should quickly see the oil splashing around by the rockers. ( you can also leave the covers on and wait for the exhaust to start smoking!)

Greenfield

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 June, 2021, 12:42:19 »
Thanks Pete
I'd noticed that the hole in the spindle end only went a few mm in. I'll slacken the banjo bolts to check.
Cheers

Bess

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 June, 2021, 20:08:11 »
Hi,
    For information the small bore in the shaft end is a centre drilling. Used to support the free end of the shaft with a tailstock during manufacture. Handy to check whether the shaft is concentric later in its life, by putting it between centres on a lathe, tapping it concentric with a lump of lead if necessary.

Best wishes...