Author Topic: Knock and banging sounds  (Read 374 times)

mo goldie

• Star
    • View Profile
Knock and banging sounds
« on: 30 June, 2020, 22:03:31 »
Hi all

Well need some help with a problem, coming back from a ride out yesterday when I could here a banging sound which sound just like little ends ..ok well a Knocking sound at least... but I have had this before ...the sound I mean.... and I think it is the left hand header pipe keeps pushing it`s way out of the head as if I pull on the pipe I can make it move in and out of the Head.....I will just say that this is Not the first time this has gone like that as it must be the forth time I have taken it out and used different Methods like silicon and a holts Exhaust paste but it always seem to push that pipe out and give me that sound, and yes it is the left pipe which then cross over to the right as they are the Siamese pipe`s and the right one has never came out, oh the left is such a sharp bend where it comes across to then go into the head making it hard to fit the decorative Flange as it seems such a sharp bend oh I was told that the pipes came from  Armous..... Pipe BSA A10 Siamese - Swing Arm Models...has anyone had the same problem with them keep coming out of the head... or know of how to stop this happening ....or Know where the best place to get a new set without such a sharp bend on them any help would much be Appreciated.

Thanks Maurice

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: Knock and banging sounds
« Reply #1 on: 01 July, 2020, 07:43:01 »
Hi Maurice,

The bend on Armours pipe is a bit tight but it is usually wear in the head that causes the loose fit.  The end of the pipe can be flared so it can be knocked in a bit but I think that that just causes a bit more wear.
I have noticed that the port tends to be bit more slack towards the outer part.
Not the prettiest of solution but this does work.
Have some beans on toast for lunch and save the can.  Use an opener that removes the top but leaves the lip intact.  Remove the bottom as well - wash the remains of bean juice off.
Cut the can in half so that you have two shorter pieces.  Cut a piece along the seam so that it opens up and then wrap it around the pipe and trim to fit snugly.  Put the pipe in the head with no sealant and put the can around the pipe and slide it in to the head.  Trim the length until it almost goes in - about 3mm to 6mm left.
With the pipe in position and sealant applied if wanted tap the can in until the lip sits evenly against the head - use a piece of wood.  It should make a good seal and grip the pipe better.  Also make sure that the pipe is held very securely at the joint with the long pipe.  Use a good quality bolt so that it can be tightened up really well.  It does not look too bad when finished and has worked on A10 and A65 pipes.

Dave.

RESTORER

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 July, 2020, 16:27:49 »
Re Dave's answer, can anyone recommend the best sealant for use in this application on these old cast iron heads, or whether it is better not to seal. Thanks.

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 July, 2020, 18:43:37 »
Hi,

I should have mentioned that I had good sealing without sealant but did use a high temp. silicon intended for sealing wood burning stoves on one occasion. The advantage of this is that it is quite easy to remove.  It was made by 'Wurth' and from a local stove shop.  Other makes are available.

Dave.

Allan G

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 July, 2020, 19:53:09 »
The best thing you can do is to have that short section of pipe de-chromed, then modified and chromed back up. It would fit much better and not look out of place. All these Armours A10 Siamese pipes do it. The one my father restored 15+ years ago was exactly the same.

mo goldie

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 July, 2020, 23:54:50 »
Hi

Well I will try anything.....but is there anyway I can get a better set of down pipes from ones that will fit better ? as the one where on it when i got the Bike........and I have heard people say that the Armours pipes are not that good.....Not that I would know that as they Look fine to me.....but now a few of you are saying they don't good makes me think where else can I get a set which are a really good fit and Quality ?

Oh as I say I have used even a good High temp silicon Sealant and it still came out.

Oh by the way it is Not a Iron head :-)     

Bess

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 July, 2020, 05:59:17 »
Hi Maurice,
                 I have had a similar issue, in my experience the Armours slip joints do not compress well so I use Ash stainless heavy duty exhaust clamps:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ASH-Hose-Clamps-Heavy-Duty-Exhaust-Hex-Screw-Tie-T-Bolt-Stainless-Steel-Clips-W4/202755389048?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D253d5

I took care to order the correct size so when fitted cold the clamp had adjustment left. Using Blue Hylomar at both head joints and the slip joint insert the pipes using a ratchet lashing strap to hold them in as fully as possible. Use copper slip on the clamp threads and tighten slowly to stop galling, tighten it as much as you dare. Clean excess Hylomar and leave overnight to set. Run the engine until hot and re tighten the clamp.

The downside is the Hylomar takes some work cleaning off when you strip down for future work, its worth the effort though.

Best wishes...

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 July, 2020, 08:03:33 »
Hi,

I think in another thread about the same problem somebody used chrome exhaust clamps and a tie bar across similar to that used on separate pipes without the balance pipes. 

Dave

RESTORER

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 July, 2020, 20:07:38 »
I remember that, see "Does anyone else's exhaust fall off all the time?" from Crofty 1984 posted in August 2018.

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 July, 2020, 08:39:53 »
Morning,

Separate pipes are held by the bracket to the frame so should never actually come out but obviously can still loosen, rattle and leak.  At least once sealed and held secure they should be fine.
I was just thinking if rather than use what is in effect a shim made from a tin can perhaps a modern form of asbestos string could be used.  With the pipe fitted and well secured with a decent fit and bolt in the sleeve on the long pipe,  The 'string' could be wrapped around the pipe and jammed in the gap.  Sealant as well to help it stay in place.  I would think that a modified spoon could make a good pushing tool for this job with the end trimmed back to get the right curve.
Regarding the decorative finned ring, I wonder if it could be shaped more like a wedge to give a better fit against the head - widest bit to the outside.

Dave.

Allan G

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 July, 2020, 09:25:50 »
Typical of a lot of Siamese bends is the curve starts too soon, hence why the rings never fit right. Their mandril bends are fine for car but not for bikes. The radii they have are not tight enough.

mo goldie

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 July, 2020, 23:54:17 »
yes you right dave.............I have some Exhaust rap which is woven I wonder if I can pull that apart and use that to try....Also Bess said abut using a good quality clamp where it go in the long pipe so I have ordered one of them along side some good silicon Exhaust sealant so when that all come I will try it all..............oh I have all ready had the beans on Toast and cut the can down ready to try that Idea..... may be the Exhaust rap and the tin can mixed LOL