Author Topic: A7ST Tank leaks - weld or liner repair kit?  (Read 2358 times)

ANNIS

• Star
    • View Profile
A7ST Tank leaks - weld or liner repair kit?
« on: 02 June, 2017, 18:52:34 »
Bother, after finally putting the bike back together putting fuel in the tank I'm getting leaks around the seams.

Question  - do I try and get the seam re-welded and probably ruin the paintwork, or do I go for one of these tank repair kits?

Thanks

Dean Southall

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: A7ST Tank leaks - weld or liner repair kit?
« Reply #1 on: 02 June, 2017, 20:05:35 »
I'd definately go for a liner kit. I've had very good results with them and done properly they give your tank internal corrosion protection: a real problem with modern fuels. I spent a fortune having my Super Rocket tank re-chromed and painted only to come to it after a winter layup to find the inside coated witrh rust. Fortunately  DIY reverse electrolysis got rid of the rust.
BSA: turning ordinary men into mechanics since 1910

STAR TWIN

• Royal Star
  • A7 A10 B31 WDB40
    • View Profile
    • Strange Sheep
« Reply #2 on: 02 June, 2017, 21:31:14 »
Check carefully which kit you choose. On other fora there are tales of freshly lined tanks failing, the lining coming off or turning to sludge. I had a leaky seam on my Velo tank which I repaired successfully with solder after the previous owner's attempt to line it failed.
Incidentally, I too have a leaky Star Twin tank - can't find the precise point it is leaking - but my bike is currently sporting a Gold Flash tank suitably painted. I like the 4 1/4 gallon capacity.

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 June, 2017, 10:03:52 »
 :)
Hi I too suggest you go for the "kit" option. derust as completely as possible with the reverse electrolysis method. Then have it steam cleaned internally to ensure that as much rust dust etc as humanly possible has been cleaned out. Then take your pick of available sealant options..

However if you can find the point of origin of the leak try a small fibre glass patch. Patched a tractor tank this way about 8 years ago and its still fine.

Take care

Mike :)

STAR TWIN

• Royal Star
  • A7 A10 B31 WDB40
    • View Profile
    • Strange Sheep
« Reply #4 on: 03 June, 2017, 10:24:17 »
Had precisely one year from a small fibre patch to my Velo tank. I assume your tractor is diesel? One fried decided to line his new Indian made tank for his Ariel recently. Bought what he thought was the best sealant. 2 weeks later there were lumps of sealant floating around in the petrol.

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 June, 2017, 16:58:05 »
Hi

Yep whichever way you go success aint guaranteed unless you use a weld/solder repair. The the other problems of distortion etc come up.

No it is a petrol starting tank on an international petrol/diesel engine.

I haven't used a internal kit for a long time, the last one was called "splosh" it worked ok for me.
So I guess we are back at the "takes yer pick" point.

Ultimately I aint bin very helpful???????///

Mike

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 June, 2017, 14:34:31 »
 :)
Hi.

I thought I might revisit this thread because a guy I know told me that he had a good tank repair with JB Weld.

I've had good results but not on fuel tanks.

Mike 8)