Author Topic: my M21  (Read 662 times)

maddogmargetts@yahoo.co.u

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
my M21
« on: 10 June, 2020, 13:17:56 »
This is my 1958 M21 which i recently acquired. It's a steep learning curve and I have already made mistakes while "fixing" things! Non standard and a bit rough but a lovely bike nonetheless.
john

berniej

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
Re: my M21
« Reply #1 on: 10 June, 2020, 17:30:24 »
Looks good to me - do you mean runs rough or just cosmetic?
The M21 motor is quite a simple beast and as long as it's getting fuel and oil should chuff along happily for many a mile.

Cheers,
Bernie
'49 M21/B31 hybrid
'56 M21 combination
B40 Super Star
A50CC project

GLENN

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 June, 2020, 18:19:03 »
I like it!  Great choice in bikes!  All the best, Glenn

maddogmargetts@yahoo.co.u

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 June, 2020, 18:44:44 »
rough in the sense that the paint job doesn't stand up to close scrutiny - it was obviously done with a couple of spray cans from Halfords. There is no choke or pilot light. The previous guy had put on a modern regulator but failed to notice the bike is positive earth, now sorted. The generator was not working but Priory fixed that for me. I have no real idea if the bearings are worn, although I can't hear any worrying knocks and rattles. There were several oil leaks caused by worn threads but I seem to have got that down to an acceptable level for the moment. I suppose this must be what it's like having a British bike. Nevertheless, your right it's a lovely bike.
john

Rog1

• Silver Star
  • M33 Plunger and teles.
    • View Profile
    • The North Bucks Wanderer
« Reply #4 on: 11 June, 2020, 11:16:04 »
Looks great. I'm in a similar situation, but half a year or so further along with my first Brit bike.

I have an M33 so my first thought is to look closely and see what's the same and what is different. You have a centre stand with a foot lever, something I'd like. I'd also like a side stand that is useable; the one I've got can't be made to clamp securely on the frame tube. I've made a few mistakes working on it, but it means I've learned something; I've found it's possible to do something right and not know why, but then it all goes wrong the next time! There's a photo of it a few posts down from here.

Mark N

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 June, 2020, 20:47:22 »
Nice bike; I’ve got a ‘49 M21. I also found that not everything was fitted/working correctly courtesy of the previous owner. Take your time, rectify things as you find them. As others have said, the M21 is a great bike with a tough motor!
Cheers,
Mark