Author Topic: A50 sump removal  (Read 590 times)

AdrianS

A50 sump removal
« on: 23 May, 2020, 08:24:29 »
Just a quickie.....

I’ve been given a new sump with drain for my A50

Can the old one be removed without draining the oil?
I assume it can with just the sump oil being lost

chaz

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: A50 sump removal
« Reply #1 on: 23 May, 2020, 08:52:41 »
yes, just the 4 nuts or bolts to remove, will be a small oil loss but only from the sump, best use a new gasket as old one will tear, usually does.
bought one for the A10 but being bobbed its too low and scrapes on the ramp.

AdrianS

« Reply #2 on: 23 May, 2020, 09:19:23 »
Cheers, what I thought.

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 May, 2020, 12:10:09 »
 :) :) :) :)

I've been considering drilling my A50 and A65 sump and brazing a nut onto it with just something like a 1/4 bolt as a drain. probably shouldn't be low enuf to catch on anything, but that's a guess.

Mike 8) 8) 8)

ChrisG

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 May, 2020, 13:00:22 »
I've done that mike. It works well. You need something to drain the sump after long periods of inactivity or in my case I take the plug out and leave a jar or jug underneath. You always remember to put it back when the jar gets knocked over and the resultant oil puddle on the floor is the giveaway.

AdrianS

« Reply #5 on: 23 May, 2020, 13:35:25 »
Ah.............

The puddle on the garage floor because somethings been kicked over!

Sounds very familiar!!

Bess

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 May, 2020, 14:29:25 »
Hi Adrian,
               No one mentioned it, and if you are aware of the 1966 BSA update, sorry for posting:

Best wishes...

AdrianS

« Reply #7 on: 23 May, 2020, 15:59:39 »
Thanks for that Bess.
My early A50 hasn’t got the timing plug fitted and I don’t relish having to take the rocker cover off to add oil. If the sump needs priming when the sump oil filter is cleaned then it will also need priming if excess oil is drained off after the bike has stood for some time if starting to wet sump.
I wonder how much oil starvation occurs before the pump starts pressurising the system? I wonder on my 58 year old bike how many times the oil has been changed and the sump not been primed?
What should I do.... clean the sump filter only when the valve clearances are checked so I can reprime, ignore the update for my early bike ?
Ps I did change the feed pipes to the later one with the rocker feed from the sump connection if that makes any difference.
« Last Edit: 23 May, 2020, 16:01:58 by AdrianS »

Bess

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 May, 2020, 17:00:05 »
Hi Adrian,
               I agree with everything you wrote, if you are happy its the main thing.

An alternative could be; Fill the sump plate before assembly and during the first start up after service, block the oil return discharge hole in the oil tank with your finger until you feel a pressure build up. This will quickly drive oil to the rockers, I do this if the bikes have been idle for awhile.

Best wishes...

AdrianS

« Reply #9 on: 23 May, 2020, 17:31:07 »
I’ll give blocking the return a try!