Author Topic: B25 Clutch  (Read 1561 times)

PRICE

B25 Clutch
« on: 22 May, 2017, 22:48:18 »
Hi,
On my return home after a good ride out, the clutch lever on the handlebars developed a lot of play and had trouble disengaging the gears.
I had a look under the inspection cover and realised that the clutch is at the end of it's adjustment, with the small screw almost disappearing through the locknut.
So, what I would like to know is:
Apart from the obvious clutch friction plates that need replacing, is there anything else to look out for?
Is it best to replace the metal one's as well, so it's a complete set.
What about the pushrod and actuating arm. Does these ever need any attention.
I would really appreciate any comments on this as I'm not yet familiar with these engines and want to get it right first time.
Stuart

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
Re: B25 Clutch
« Reply #1 on: 23 May, 2017, 10:42:55 »
As the friction plates wear the thickness of the clutch plate stack obviously reduces which means that to compensate for that the adjuster in the centre plate needs to be screwed outwards (not inwards) to maintain the clearance of clutch push rod.

It could also be compensated by and/or screwing the handlebar adjuster inwards to increase the clearance on the clutch push rod.

After the engine has cooled does the problem ease?

So the problem may not be worn plates. It could be in the operating mecanism from the handlebar lever to the pressure plate. It could be as simple as a stretched cable or a cable not made to quite the right length for your bike.