Author Topic: Problems with Pazon ignition on A10 Super Rocket  (Read 477 times)

Saltydog42

• Star
    • View Profile
Problems with Pazon ignition on A10 Super Rocket
« on: 23 March, 2020, 16:21:59 »
I have just replaced the mag  with  pazon system as the mag struggled to give a good start with the electric start ( only turns engine over at just over 300 rpm) but the bike started and ran ok if kick started.
The pazon gives a good spark and I have tested plug lead to plug to test sparking under compression, Triple checked timing at 3/8 and also by disc but it will not start. I get a backfire occasionally and a spit back from carb occasionally.
 Same results from kick start or electric start.
Stripped carb and cleaned it.

I am now running out of ideas - has anyone had anything similar or ideas of what I can try Next

Thanks

DerekAnderson8

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
Re: Problems with Pazon ignition on A10 Super Rocket
« Reply #1 on: 23 March, 2020, 16:48:58 »
are the plugs wet after trying to start? if you have spark and compression it should give a bit more than a chuff through the carb if its getting fuel,

i would dope it to try and rule out a fuel issue.

i am assuming an amal monobloc carb.

cheers

derek

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 March, 2020, 17:37:28 »
Does the Pazon give a 'wasted' spark like a Boyer?  If yes, then not necessarily ignition but if it only gives a spark on the compression stroke then it could be firing on the wrong cylinder - swap the leads.

Dave.

Just had quick look on-line and Pazon does not have a wasted spark.
« Last Edit: 23 March, 2020, 18:32:34 by DAVE BRADY »

Saltydog42

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 March, 2020, 11:39:40 »
Thanks for your replies
It is a wasted spark system with single twin output coil so leads ok
 Does not fire with  Surestart  and plugs are wet but not as much as I would expect.
So looks like I will put the old mag back on - if it then runs there can be no doubt it is the pazon unit so it will go back under warranty.

Thanks for your help
Barry

mashermick

• Blue Star
  • 1961 Super Rocket . 1965 C15 SS80
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 March, 2020, 15:17:07 »
  im having a problem getting my super rocket started after a complete rebuild ,you have my sympathy, plugs not wet ,im suspecting the reconditioned mag !

Saltydog42

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 March, 2020, 16:08:48 »
Final update for anyone in the future
Pazon instructions say use anti clockwise timing hole, these refer to side points on A65 but this is not stated.
As soon as i Realised mag is clockwise and retimed to this it fired first time = happy bunny

Mashermick  if plugs are not wet suspect carb, try some easystart to see if it fires.

Quick test of Mag is to remove plug cap and test for spark to top of plug, if you have one then it is sparking under compression inside cylinder and mag is not problem.

If not, does it spark to cylinder head if so check plug and cap or mag is giving a weak spark which is failing under compression

Hope this helps

chaz

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 March, 2020, 17:13:51 »

Quick test of Mag is to remove plug cap and test for spark to top of plug, if you have one then it is sparking under compression inside cylinder and mag is not problem.

I remember an old scrambler , white haired drove a Morris Minor with trailer on back towing his MaBSA scrambler. always had his finger in the plug cap checking for sparks, still scrambling well into his seventies, shock of white hair unsurprisingly.