Author Topic: 50 Years ago  (Read 243 times)

Mike40M

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
50 Years ago
« on: 14 March, 2020, 18:07:19 »
In 1970 I bought a new 441 Victor Special. In 1983 it melted down in a barn fire. As neither the -59 Manx nor the -52 Vincent is useful on gravel roads, I got a fairly decent and cheap B40 Mk I a couple of months ago. Finished fixing the most obvious problems this week.
Two days ago I saw an ad about a -70  Victor Special. On the pictures it looked exactly as I remembered them. A 270 km trip to check at it in detail. It has only gone about 10000 Km ( some 6000 miles ) and the original paint is good. Only fault I found was that the speedo was very friendly, waving merrily to me. On test riding I found that I had forgotten how nimble and pleasant to ride they are. So today it has got a new home.
No need to post a photo, as it looks as in a period sales brochure.
My only problem so far is that I can't allow myself to modify anything on a totally original bike.

Mike40M

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
Re: 50 Years ago
« Reply #1 on: 12 April, 2020, 20:47:05 »
Living in a country not closed down, I took the ex Danish WDB40 out for another test run. One hour 50/50 gravel and asphalt. One remaining issue is exhaust backfire rolling off throttle. Otherwise a pleasant bike if you're not in a hurry.