Author Topic: Dynamo leak on RGS-R  (Read 2004 times)

mo goldie

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
Dynamo leak on RGS-R
« on: 28 February, 2020, 00:41:19 »
Hi has anyone got a clue of how to stop oil/grease coming out the Dynamo cork gasket..... I have fitted a SRM Belt drive
so it has No chain now and they recommend that you fill most of the case where the belt run with Grease now I have had the case both inner and outer off and done what they say but as soon as I have started the bike up do it run out with the grease, so is they anyway or anything I am doing wrong I pushed the Dynamo as hard up against the back of the case where the cork gasket is and then done up the clamp but it still leaks out from behind the Dynamo its driving me crazy.......just need some help please.

Thanks in advance..

Maurice     

chaz

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: Dynamo leak on RGS-R
« Reply #1 on: 28 February, 2020, 00:52:15 »
Mastic or you could tap a hole and fit a plug.

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 February, 2020, 08:35:52 »
Hi Maurice,

Did the grease leak out when you ran a chain to drive the dynamo and if not, have you put more grease in than before?
When the engine gets hot a bit of pressure will build up and will have to be released somewhere and the cork gasket will be the weakest point.  I would suggest putting a lot less grease in.  When warm the grease will accumulate at the bottom of the case and then be picked up by the belt as it would have been the with the chain.  Too thick a high melting point grease will just be thrown off the belt and stick to case. Looking at an alternative belt drive supplier, they say their's can be run in grease but do not imply that it is a necessity and can be run dry.  It is my understanding that these belts are intended to run dry as in a primary belt drive so why do they need a lubricant - cooling perhaps?

Dave.
« Last Edit: 28 February, 2020, 08:50:32 by DAVE BRADY »

mo goldie

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 February, 2020, 09:54:52 »
Hi Dave, I did not run the bike with a chain as I was having to build a lot of it up and that was just one more job that I done to it, I will try running a lot less grease in the case and see how that go`s someone suggested that the cork if i was to use silicon on it that also might help...at this stage anything is worth a try.

Maurice. 

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 February, 2020, 10:14:26 »
Hi Maurice,

The silicon may help.  But let us know if less grease helps as it may be useful to others.

Dave.

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 February, 2020, 10:29:33 »
Sometimes the thin sealing washer or cork between the back of the large sprocket/pulley and the inner timing cover breaks up allowing some oil and a bit of pressure into the dynamo compartment which can cause a leak from the dynamo cork.

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 February, 2020, 14:32:11 »
Over the years I have known several people leave this cork washer out completely as they did not know what it was for.
There is does not seem to be much reference to it and as it is quite thick before it is squashed behind the sprocket/pulley it almost looks like it is too thick.
The other washer that is sometimes overlooked is the one that goes on the third oil pump stud.  Leaving this out results in the pump being distorted when the nut is tightened up.  I measured this gap once with the pump on the two main studs only and it was over 0.007".  Not a lot but enough to cause problems.

Dave.

Trev

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 February, 2020, 17:09:13 »
Unfortunately I had this problem once many years ago. It was caused by a breathing problem which allowed pressure to build up and force the grease out. The engine was subsequently rebuilt not long after and that cured the problem. First thing I would check though is the cork disc for failure or wear. Despite  what SRM might advocate I have a Manortech DVR2 regulator and belt drive conversion and I have never greased mine. Its not needed. I would take some of what SRM say with a pinch of salt! Bear in mind if they build an engine for you they say the warranty is invalidated if you fit an oil filter. Really!!!!

Editor

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 February, 2020, 10:16:57 »
Regarding the reason for SRM recommending grease, my mate Geoff fitted one of their conversions years ago, dry, as there was no mention of grease by SRM or anyone else. His belt broke recently, it had cracked up around the edges and the teeth had been worn away somewhat as well. He bought a new belt from SRM and was told to apply grease.
So, it sounds like grease is necessary but purely to give the teeth surfaces a bit of lube, so I wouldnt fill the space as you do with the chain.

Bess

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 February, 2020, 11:00:23 »
Hi,
    Maybe worth trying these:

https://www.beltingonline.com/at5-gen-iii-synchroflex-timing-belts-4594

https://www.beltingonline.com/images/PDF/Syn.pdf

This timing belt 'GEN III' is temperature resistant up to 100°C, no need to grease and a fraction of the cost from well know suppliers.

Best wishes...

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 February, 2020, 11:38:19 »
How long are these belts supposed to last?  Most belt suppliers stock the right grade of belt at a very competitive price and some just cut off the width you need from a long tube.
I have found a 'V' belt just as good in many ways.  Running an Alton on my wife's A10 with a 'V' belt was much better than a chain and whilst the Alton had quite a resistance to rotation the belt would last a reasonable time and they are cheap.  If necessary a belt could be replaced in about 10 minutes - always carry a spare.   I tried the toothed belt similar to the one being discussed and it did not last very long at all so the 'V' belt was recommissioned.  This regime lasted 14 years and many thousands of miles until the Alton gave up.  The latest replacement Alton uses different magnets so it spins about as easily as a dynamo.
With less resistance to overcome the 'V' belts will be as good as anything.  However, one advantage of the toothed belt systems is the increased speed of the dynamo giving a more useful output at lower engine revs.
Interestingly I think SRM suggest carrying a spare belt just in case.

Dave.
« Last Edit: 29 February, 2020, 12:14:00 by DAVE BRADY »

Bess

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 February, 2020, 13:18:33 »
Hi,

Suppliers say, "Life expectancy is estimated at 10 years or 30,000 miles".

Best wishes...

bikerbob

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 February, 2020, 14:18:04 »
Over the years I have run both V belt drive and Tooth belt drive the advantage with the tooth belt system and the one I am at present using on my A7 was supplied by Dyamo Regulators is that you get increased charging at lower revs, With the original chain drive you had to be  running over 30mph to get a charge with the headlight on with the tooth belt I can show a charge with headlght on at just under 30mph. The disadvatage with V belt was you had to keep it quite tight or it would slip I had to adjust mine on a yerarly basis  also you did not get the increase in the charge rate. I have had my tooth belt system now with no problems for about 5 years and no grease in the compartment. It is possible that the reason for early failure of the toothed belt could be tension too tight when set up not allowing for the tension increase when hot I tend to run mine sllightly on the slack side.

idie

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 February, 2020, 21:30:07 »
Why on earth do you want to run a belt drive in grease. My son and I have been using Dynamo Regulators Ltd belt drive in our Shooting Stars for years without grease.

mo goldie

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16 March, 2020, 18:20:09 »
hi well here we go with an update, first I replaced the cork gasket behind the larger of the two pulleys and sealed the cork gasket on the Dynamo, went out for a 30 mile ride today got back to find there was some oil over my nice shiny casing which was not good to see that, it was oil and not grease as I put not a lot in there at all this time, so I think JulianS said about the Dynamo compartment was being pressurised which I think could be right the only thing is why or how do you stop this ? I don't want to go down the root of drilling a hole in the case to vent into the oil Breather pipe which I put on the Engine side when that started to leak oil out of there but since that now is vented to Atmosphere and I have had no problem with at all since I done that....the engine has now done 450 miles since its rebuild so the bottom piston rings must be bedded in by now......but don't know what else to do ?

has anyone got any other Ideas please   

cheers Maurice