Author Topic: b and m group 1938 -63 plunger and ridged gearbox  (Read 520 times)

luap

• Star
    • View Profile
b and m group 1938 -63 plunger and ridged gearbox
« on: 06 February, 2020, 12:22:25 »
https://www.draganfly.co.uk/images/shop/b3/19/BM_gearbox.gif

im replacing my main shaft bearing no11 with a rubber shielded one and was woundering if i should leave
out no.10 and 101 oil retaining washers .
one is rusty and the other damaged i know i could hook the shields out the bearing and order some washers
but wounder if the 2rs bearing gives better seal my other concern is if i dont have them in i may have the shaft running in a different place or have excess float or would this slack be taken up by the the nut on the drive sprocket
thanks paul

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: b and m group 1938 -63 plunger and ridged gearbox
« Reply #1 on: 06 February, 2020, 19:37:04 »
Hi Paul,

Does washer 10 go in to the bearing housing and gets held in place by the bearing?  If so it is part of the shimming of the gearbox. Likewise with washer 101. If it is held in place by the final drive pinion then it is likely to be part of the shimming of the gearbox.   When I have fitted a sealed bearing to a gear box I have put everything in that was in and removed the inner bearing seal so that the gearbox oil lubricates the bearing as normal but without any oil getting out.

Dave.

GLENN

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
Re: b and m group 1938 -63 plunger and ridged gearbox
« Reply #2 on: 06 February, 2020, 20:15:37 »
I would leave parts 10 and 11 in place as they will act as spacersand fit the sealed bering with the inner oil seal removed.  Glenn