Author Topic: Definition of "matching numbers"  (Read 484 times)

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Definition of "matching numbers"
« on: 31 January, 2020, 10:30:15 »
Julian, Can I just check something: I think you told me a while back that " matching numbers" doesn't necessarily mean the frame number is the same as the engine number, but rather it means that the two numbers match what is on the v5c. Is that right?

I think in any case BSA didn't match frame numbers to engine numbers until 1967?

Phil

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
Re: Definition of "matching numbers"
« Reply #1 on: 31 January, 2020, 10:58:47 »
Matching numbers  means your engine is the same one which was originally fitted to your frame in the BSA factory.

From late 1965 most BSA models had the same frame and engine number.

Some earlier models had the same numbers  factory fitted - WDM20 - AA and some other fleet user bikes - GPO Bantams.

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 January, 2020, 11:14:59 »
Thanks Julian. So how does one know if the engine is the one that was originally fitted to the frame? Phil

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 January, 2020, 11:23:57 »
 :) :) :)

Send your current details to the dating officer and he will give you the info that you seek

Mike 8) 8) 8)

Editor

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 January, 2020, 15:12:33 »
Don't forget, it costs 5 for members and 15 for non members. Well worth it as for pre '65, you not only get to know if it is the original engine but for all of them you get to know which original dealer the bike was despatched to. Just in case you have any warranty claims etc.  ;D
I've been meaning to get a Dating Certificate for the Royal Star. It has a Hull registration but there were two dealers listed in Hull, one of which is still around. If it's that one, do you think I could make a claim for all the incorrect parts fitted and the parts that were left off?

Chris

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 January, 2020, 15:42:42 »
Looking at The Star, I see I need to download forms from the Machine Dating section of the website. I feel a bit useless saying this, but where is the Machine Dating section?

DerekAnderson8

• Silver Star
    • View Profile

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 February, 2020, 13:56:53 »
Excellent, thanks very much. The link you gave me doesn't say who I should make the cheque out to.  BSAOC, I guess?

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 February, 2020, 14:05:13 »
BSAOC Library account.

EDDIE SIMPSON

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 February, 2020, 22:08:42 »
i bought my a10 from a friend who managed to obtain unstamped cases but never bothered to restamp them. however the new engine number he sent to dvla was a casting number . they are still unstamped as he couldnt remember the old engine number when i bought the bike of him. i ve swopped engines since and re registered the engine as well, as originality has worn off me and been replaced with dreams of reliability.

Phil C

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 February, 2020, 10:38:32 »
I sent photos of my B40F off to Steve, and got a Dating Certificate in the post this morning from Julian (who I assume took over as Dating Officer from Steve.) The certificate confirms the frame number is  from a bike made in 1965 and the engine is original. It also confirms the registration number is from a series issued from January 1965 allocated to government departments. So it appears the frame, engine and reg are all original, which is great to know.

Turns out the bike was originally finished in deep bronze green and was despatched to the MOD at Kettering for the Auxilliary Fire Service (it's now black and lives in Devon.)

This is all very interesting information for me. I remember a very interesting conversation about the bike with Julian over the phone some time ago, and he certainly got this certificate to me quickly. Many thanks again, Julian, for your help.

Well worth the 5!

Phil