Author Topic: A65rebuild  (Read 585 times)

MITCHELL

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
A65rebuild
« on: 27 January, 2020, 18:43:24 »
Hi, bit of a problem,cleaned, sanded, primed oil tank thought I should check how it fits before finishing coats and if I'm right the two lower pipes,(feed and return I think)drop through the holes in the frame cross member so, should the feed pipe be at that angle or has it been bent at some time, any advice much appreciated as usual.

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: A65rebuild
« Reply #1 on: 27 January, 2020, 21:23:29 »
Without going out to the shed with a torch I would say the bend in the pipe is about right.  The tank sits on two locating rubbers that are fitted to the frame.  The circular bumps on the bottom of the tank sit on them and the top tank mounting is also rubber mounted to insulate the tank from the frame.

Dave.

geraldhattrick75

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 January, 2020, 21:47:54 »
Just been in the garage to check on mine and the angle doesn't look to be much different from mine.

Mind, i don't have that thin parallel pipe coming out from the lower vertical pipe. (Mine just has two pipes from the bottom- one slightly skew (like yours) and t'other vertical (like yours) 
Hope that makes sense...

The other difference is that my tank look triangular with a chopped, flat side.....

Not sure if these help...

Cheers,
Dave.

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 January, 2020, 22:17:04 »
 :) :)

Those pipes look right to me. looking down on it with the filler tank on the right. The RH pipe is the outlet. The LH is the return and the little pipe is the flow to the rockers/top end. The pipes actually go down the between the obvious holes and not thro them.

Mike 8) 8) 8)

MITCHELL

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 January, 2020, 22:34:37 »
Knew you'd sort me out, I was trying to get the pipes through the holes, cheers all, Dave.

MITCHELL

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 February, 2020, 16:32:42 »
Hi all, oil tank all nicely sprayed and fitted,thanks again, next I've been working on the old mudguards,front has cleaned up nicely and ready for 're chroming,rear not so,few holes no longer required plus numerous dents it's an aluminium mud guard and I've hammered out most of the offenders but,and here's the latest brain tease is there a way of filling and sanding that will take chrome plating, any ideas? Dave.

chaz

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 February, 2020, 16:56:52 »
you could build up the holes with ally weld, it might pay to contact you preferred platers to ask their opinion as would need dressing after to blend in so no marks in the plating. might pay to ask them if they can do the job for you as you might fill the holes but after dressing and polishing it is always a possibility the weld might break out then they call you to take back and re pair.

MITCHELL

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 February, 2020, 17:16:47 »
Hi chaz, I've a friend with a fabrication works and he's filling the holes for me as you suggested it's the ripple type effect of the dent work that's the problem, but take on board your suggestion, maybe a nip over to the planters would be best, thanks Dave.

DAVE BRADY

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 February, 2020, 18:03:13 »
Hello Dave,

Have you considered buying a chromed steel mudguard?  They come with holes in the right place and are quite good quality from the like of Burton Bike Bits.  The one on my A65 is still looking good after many years and miles of use.

Dave.

chaz

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 February, 2020, 21:21:43 »
Dave, might be a bit expensive unless yu know someone... if you are worried about ripples in the metalwork you may need an English Wheel to flatten. an old fasioned body shop might help.

LightningAndStarfire

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 February, 2020, 22:38:42 »
Aluminium is more prone than stel to crack from vibrations. I would choose a steel mudguard for an A65. Cheers

MITCHELL

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 February, 2020, 22:57:21 »
I'd like to try and use as many of the bits out of the basket as possible, might not be the cheapest but it just seems the right thing to do, if all else fails then off to the shops I go,cheers Dave.

chaz

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 February, 2020, 09:02:57 »
Aluminium is more prone than stel to crack from vibrations. I would choose a steel mudguard for an A65. Cheers

I bought a brand new pair of polished Alloy mudguards for my AJS Stormer, first race out they were dented so bad I had to put the plastic Peston Petty ones back on. the steel ones nowadays come from two sources, the East and UK, the UK ones are better quality and thicker as long as not sourced from India in the first place.
problem with the Alloy ones , if repaired are they tend to be weaker  after repair.

Editor

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 February, 2020, 18:17:36 »
Always go direct to Autocycle Engineering in Dudley for genuine mudguards made from original tooling so all the holes line up as they should.
A Chrome rear for an A65 is around 125 delivered. Shame that you only see the outer edges of the last third of in when it's on the bike, but at least you have the pleasure of knowing that it's nice a shiny under he seat and behind the oil tank! :)

MITCHELL

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16 February, 2020, 13:50:13 »
Ah, read my original thoughts, you'd have to be on a mission to see the damage when fitted,probably like a lot of members I think I'm a bit to fussy, old school I suppose.