Author Topic: 1968 Firebird  (Read 781 times)

Talisker

• Star
    • View Profile
1968 Firebird
« on: 11 January, 2020, 15:55:50 »
Just treated myself and am a little confused with the front mudguard. Mine is the 6 point as Thunderbolt but some on the net seem to be 4 bolt fixing and others 6 bolt. Can anyone throw any light on the subject? or is it just easier to get hold of the 6 bolt. Regards Jim

Talisker

• Star
    • View Profile
Re: 1968 Firebird
« Reply #1 on: 12 January, 2020, 13:20:02 »
Just had a quote from the chromers £300 so looks like a after market one . Regards Jim

ChrisG

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 January, 2020, 14:56:47 »
Chrome plating is very much a 'pot luck' exercise.
I had the rear guard on my Royal Star done for £90 cash at Key Plating Gosport.  The front guard will cost the same. They are available brand new from Autocycle Engineering in Dudley (they make them) fully chrome plated by British suppliers and they cost around £125 delivered.
£300 seems like someone taking the urine
Chris

chaz

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 January, 2020, 18:41:38 »
£300 is not taking the preverbial..
you need to see not just the end product but the work that goes into it.
its the labour time, stripping then polishing , repolishing re layering , repolishing, re layering etc to get the finish you want.
when you compare to some Chinese or Indian 'chrome effect' which is in effect nickle plating and a lot thinner.
My local plater does Bright Nickle and its not as good as S&T, Doug Taylor or our old plating shop at work where the polishing was done out of managements sight during the weekend or weekday overtime. there are around 6 or 7 layers to get a decent effect wheras the Chinese bikes I work on peel or blister inside the first year.
a cheaper job may just be polished down and re plated on top, labour charges in the industry vary between £45 and 60 /hour, our local shop "official" price is min charge £125, good job I know a few of them in there..

Talisker

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 January, 2020, 19:20:06 »
On reflection Chaz you are right I was just a bit taken aback however thanks to editor I have ordered a new one today from Autocycle Engineering in Dudley so hopefully its work out OK, Regards Jim

ChrisG

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 January, 2020, 21:04:09 »
Chaz,
Key Plating do a lot of work for Sammy Miller Museum. They put the necessary polishing/copper/polish/nickel/ polish/chrome just as any other should, so they are not a Mickey Mouse outfit, in fact they don't take the Mickey :) ;)

Talisker,
Well done, wise move as at least the base metal is brand new! ;D

chaz

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 January, 2020, 21:59:56 »
Ed, ,I've dealt with the ones I've mentioned both as a motorcycle restorer and as an inspector in a railway brake manufacturing company, infact, the biggest rail brake manufacturer in the world, incorporating truck brakes so I know all about quality of playing acceptable to the company and its customers. The portfolio of our plating suppliers goes from odds like one off bike repairs to the MoD. I cant speak  for key as they have not been approved by us. Our parts come back in from service for strip and repair, there is a big liability for product and supplier control and fortunately or not we have never had an insurance claim or blame against us. Our next gen system has just had good reviews and test results. As you say, it's the base material and finish that matters to the end product. As they say, you cant polish a t_rd. Years ago I got driven into the back of, the bumper that replaced my original chrome one lasted 6 months before bubbling and rust started to appear.

ChrisG

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 January, 2020, 11:52:21 »
Hi Chaz,
I fully agree with your comments. In the commercial world (I too have worked for Hi tech global manufacturing businesses) you will of course use a 'serious' electro-plater to do the work for all the reasons you mentioned. But, for the same level for our classics, then we can fully expect to pay serious money as their overheads will be far higher than a small electro-plater who would be doing anything from domestic appliance embellishments to decorative chrome bits.
I also concur that as a professional bike restorer, you cannot afford for a customer to be unhappy with the finish and longevity of a chrome plated part as the damage to your reputation would be long lasting and very bad for business.
However, as we are doing this for our own use and most of us maybe want something to look 'tidy' rather than concours then the smaller guy may be just the ticket.
Also, consider how much the bike will be used. It's not many of us that use our classics to get to work every day, all year round and as we get older, we then try to avoid winter riding (too cold), or rainy weather (not much fun) so the majority of the time out there is in dry warm conditions and not detrimental to the chrome finish.
So, to recap, yes, you get what you pay for, just pay for what will suit your needs.
Chris