Author Topic: WM20 paint  (Read 3955 times)

Dean Southall

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
WM20 paint
« on: 05 May, 2017, 08:51:32 »
I am thinking of painting the WM20 myself with out the aid of spray kit. I once painted a complete Beagle by hand in the spare bedroom and nobody ever guessed it was a brush job, so i know what I'm letting myself in for.

So, does anybody know a source for approapriate paints to get an authentic colour finish for WW2 British military green than can be applied by brush and aerosol?
BSA: turning ordinary men into mechanics since 1910

TTJOHN

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: WM20 paint
« Reply #1 on: 05 May, 2017, 10:18:40 »
Most M20s used in military service were hand painted and painted regularly, I don't think I can ever recall a M20 tarted up like they do now with a spray finish mat  UN green, in all my nine years service, don't forget these were in service right up to the seventies, I think the only ones bulled up were the ones at Hide Park, 20 car coy RASC and RCT after 1965, The colour was bronze green. HTH

TTJohn

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 May, 2017, 11:19:45 »
 :)

That takes me back then. They probably left the factory sprayed but I'll bet they had a brush job within 2 years or less.(nothing to do??? find something to paint)

As you say they were bronze green, but I think the actual colour designation was 'Olive Drab' in Europe and the jungle countries But a yuckey sand colour in N Africa, Aden and 'up the gulf' etc
Go back into the archive here and I'm sure Arthur posted the correct sand colour about a year ago for me to do mine, but I lost it.

Mike

Dean Southall

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 May, 2017, 12:27:36 »
Yes. A main reason for hand painting was to get an authentic finish and not some of the modern fancy finishes.
I've looked at Tekaloid but they proudly state the high gloss finish!

DWS

• Blue Star
  • 1970 ex-RAF Police WD B40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 May, 2017, 12:47:22 »
May I suggest you contact Paragon Paints, I have purchased paint from them for my AFS Matchless (Deep Bronze Green Gloss) and my RAF WD B40 (RAF Blue/Grey Gloss).  Their paint can be applied by spraying, hand roller or brush, it has great 'Flow Out' qualities leaving no brush marks when brushed on, but you must use a very good quality brush.  Most colours are available in Matt, Satin or Gloss, depending which colour you choose.  Look under Military Colours on their Menu.

Dave

https://www.paragonpaints.co.uk/

STAR TWIN

• Royal Star
  • A7 A10 B31 WDB40
    • View Profile
    • Strange Sheep
« Reply #5 on: 05 May, 2017, 14:16:41 »
I bought NATO semi-matt green from eBay for my ex-mil Land Rover. It hand-painted a treat and is very hard wearing. My WD B40 will in due course follow suit.
The khaki desert M20s often had sand showered onto them when the paint was still wet. Gives a very effective matt non-reflective finish.   

Dean Southall

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 May, 2017, 17:31:24 »
Thanks for your helpful replies Dave and Star Twin.
Now to find my old Hamilton Perfection brushes...hoping I've not used them in the parafin bath  :-[

Dean Southall

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 June, 2017, 19:47:13 »
Thanks for your help guys. I ordered some olive drab from paragon and have just done the frame. I am pleased with the finish: I'd describe irt as: " slapped on by a disgrunted squaddie given the job as punishment duty"  ;D