Author Topic: bsa blue star  (Read 125 times)

timbo

• Star
    • View Profile
bsa blue star
« on: 04 December, 2019, 18:42:57 »
ello,
I'm tim, 38 years old and new here on the forum.
I live in belgium. When I was 18 I restored a B33 and I still have it. A few years ago I bought a Blue Star Project from someone who needed money. The price was right and the bike was 85 percent complete. Now I have started looking for the missing parts. I have decided to do a technical restoration and to keep the patina. This makes it a bit harder to find the parts because they must be original to have the same patina. These are my first experiences with a pre-war BSA so I will be asking a lot of questions here in the future. The missing parts are:
- handle bars
- Control levers
- headlight
- oil pressure gauge
- ampere meter
- tool box
- chain case
and probably a few small things.
I recently found the clutch lever and brake lever.
Now I am working on the ammeter. Is the lucas BM4 8-8 the right meter for the Blue star? I'm also looking for a headlight. Someone told me the Lucas D142, someone else was talking about the MU142. What is the difference between the two and which is the correct one?
My MT 110 rear light is also damaged. The basis is recoverable but the rest cannot be saved. Do they sell separate lenses for this? I know someone who has a loose cover but there are no longer any lenses in it.
If someone can help me with the missing parts then you can always contact me.

greetings tim

timbo

• Star
    • View Profile
Re: bsa blue star
« Reply #1 on: 04 December, 2019, 20:40:39 »
some pictures upon disassembly

« Last Edit: 04 December, 2019, 20:45:58 by timbo »

timbo

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 December, 2019, 20:47:52 »
can't get the other pictures right. dont know what I am doing wrong.

Bicycle repair man

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 December, 2019, 10:53:10 »
Re the headlight. The "U" designates an integrated switch panel. The number 1 in 142 means that is 8 inch. The M type headlight has a deeper shell as I found out at my cost on my pre war Norton. You require a D142.

Hoppe30

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 December, 2019, 12:41:40 »
Tim,

Like I already said on Facebook, you need a D142 headlamp and a BM ammeter. BM4 is post war but looks exactly the same. On FB you said your Blue Star is 1936 but the rocker box in the picture is for a 1934 or earlier model. What are the engine and frame prefixes? If you Blue Star is 1934 the headlamp would have been MC140 (8").

Kind regards,
Leon
BSA 1930s nut.

Trying to collect all 1936 models. Still missing B3, R17 and Y13.

Mark N

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 December, 2019, 00:23:57 »
Tim, I have been looking for a lens for an MT110 light but havenít found one yet. Complete replica lights are readily available so iím thinking of seeing if the lens can be removed and fitted to the original.
Donít know if the MT1130 is the same lens as there is an original on Ebay UK currently, but with a price tag of £140. (thatís not a typo, itís £140)....