Author Topic: A50 needs help  (Read 650 times)

Stevecrout

• Star
    • View Profile
A50 needs help
« on: 21 October, 2019, 02:22:40 »
Hello and thanks for the registration. My 1970 A50 was returned to me after 9 years in a bunch of boxes and a rolling frame. I'm slowly getting it back together but I'm stuck on a few placements of things like the coils. I've looked for a pictorial on the A50 but no luck so far. Are there any suggestions as to where I might find a few photos or video of one being assembled? I'm stuck on the coils at the moment. I also think I have the wrong clutch cable as the ball end only protrudes about 2inches and I think I need about 4. Thanks in advance for any assistance.
My other bikes are Nortons (Atlas and a 99) and I've had this royal star for years then turned it over to a fellow to complete it for me and you know the rest.

chaz

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: A50 needs help
« Reply #1 on: 21 October, 2019, 09:20:46 »
Hi, welcome.
download whatever you can find from the internet, there are copies of genuine workshop manuals and parts books that may help. Also Frank BAcons BSA twin restoration book has many pictures and write ups. look at ebay or similar for

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BSA-Twin-Restoration-Roy-Bacon/dp/0957066503

Editor

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 October, 2019, 13:44:45 »
Is Frank Roy's brother? Was he the true knowledge behind these excellent books?  ;D

Editor

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 October, 2019, 13:50:12 »
Steve,
The coils fit on a coil bar that bolts onto the two threaded underhanging bosses on the tube between the rear down tubes on the frame. The Coil bar also has the forward Oddy fastener inner spring clamps for the side panels attached.
They fit in a coil clip available from all good BSA spares dealers, however, if they are the more modern thin type, the clip will need a rubber  piece to take up the slack.

chaz

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 October, 2019, 13:59:34 »
Is Frank Roy's brother? Was he the true knowledge behind these excellent books?  ;D

unfortunately, on this forum you cant alter posts once submitted as you can on thers Im on...unless I havnt found a way yet

Splodger

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 October, 2019, 17:14:42 »
Steve,

My A50 is also 1970 vintage.
I've fitted a new clutch cable and enclose a pic of the old - still serviceable but was getting a bit 'sticky'

Stevecrout

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 October, 2019, 15:11:23 »
Thanks to all who responded.  This is exactly the information I needed.  I also ordered Roy H Bacon's book and hope that will provide some good photos (as I'm a visual sort of person).

Winter is just setting in here in British Columbia and I think the re-assembly of the A50 will provide some necessary challenge during the cold and windy days ahead.

Thanks again!

Steve

Stevecrout

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 October, 2019, 15:32:19 »
I lied.   

Winter is not actually on the doorstep as previously written.  The temp here in BC went to 17 degrees and prompted another great ride.

The A50 will have to wait.  The flying brick needs some exercise.

Old Biker

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 October, 2019, 20:29:31 »
Hi Steve
That sure is some backdrop and I can see why the A50 has to wait  :)