Author Topic: Gearbox Whine  (Read 2476 times)

chaz

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Re: Gearbox Whine
« Reply #15 on: 03 October, 2019, 07:47:46 »
Hi Mo
have a tray of old classic bits, but not identified as well as other Brit bits but cant think of any twin gears. can look at the weekend.

just one thing , is it a whine or a screach? a screach could be the bearing about to break up or spinning in the housing, a definate wine probably down to gear noise or bush play.
this is the sort of thing you need
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BSA-SPITFIRE-A65-LIGHTNING-TRANSMISSION-GEAR-GEARS-FRONT-SPROCKET-CASE-NUTS-BOLT/232950778010?hash=item363cf2c89a:g:Z9YAAOSwk3RbtJ7X

when I first started mid eighties we had many spares stockists within 20 mile radius, British Iron, Nobby Clarke, L&D, Charlies, Chalky White, Chestermans, Michael Freeman,  Chequers and many more, all are gone now. in 50% of them its the children of the original owner not wanting to carry on the business. America (Ebay) seems the best nowadays for used parts.  I remember Fluff Brown went to America on holiday , (Fluff owned FB AJS after the factory closed.) he ended up visiting their American stockists and arranged many containers of brand new old stock to be returned. everything from cable ties to complete never raced scramblers.
« Last Edit: 03 October, 2019, 07:57:47 by chaz »

mo goldie

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 03 October, 2019, 21:50:33 »
Hi Chaz is the bsa A65 the same gears as a A10 then as the link was for spitfire and lightning gears as I say this is new to me ? oh the gearbox Whine is a whine not a screeching noise...just a loud whine mostly in 3rd and 2nd. 

Cheers Mo
« Last Edit: 03 October, 2019, 22:16:36 by mo goldie »

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 03 October, 2019, 22:41:17 »
A65 gears not the same as A10.

chaz

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 04 October, 2019, 06:55:05 »
Hi Chaz is the bsa A65 the same gears as a A10 then as the link was for spitfire and lightning gears as I say this is new to me ? oh the gearbox Whine is a whine not a screeching noise...just a loud whine mostly in 3rd and 2nd. 

Cheers Mo

not sure what you mean, the bike is a 1962 A65 or a late 1961 A10 (seperate gearbox). you could check the bushing in the gears as well. one other thing to remember, the engine is a box (or tin) the noise could be travelling around the chambers, an old mechanics trick is to put a screwdriver against various places around the engine and the handle to your ear to localise the noise origin. BUT make sure its not near moving parts!!

trying to answer after working nightshift, must read properly to avoid confusion!!

mo goldie

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 04 October, 2019, 20:34:05 »
Hi Chaz,  The confusion is you put a link for A65 spitfire etc i took it as if you were saying that they were the same gearboxes as the A10.....as I say this is my first BSA so I did not know if they were or were not the same and as JulianS has said that the A65 box gears are not the same as A10..........so That is were the confusion is, to clear up anything my BSA is an 1962 A10 rocket gold star Rep so hope this is now not give anyone no more confusion lol.

chaz

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 04 October, 2019, 20:56:27 »
ok thanks.
the confusion came as 1962 was a cross over year late to 1963 A10s and early from 1962 A65s.
I get this many times especially with Japanese bikes, dealers selling old stock off sometimes cheaper a year later than should be for that model year, especially when customers come in with their own sourced parts which I then have to order the correct part. They then get to find that the bike is a year older than they thought.

mo goldie

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 09 October, 2019, 22:34:08 »
Hi all I have just picked up a complete gearbox that has been totally overhauled from an old friend that has just gone down hill with Dementia he had done three gearbox's over a year ago and he has just gone down hill over the last 6 months very quickly and he was a really great bloke with BSA`s and a great Gearbox builder as everyone I know took there gearbox to him to rebuild so I am lucky to have one he done,,,,,, cost me about £300 but that means I can take mine out and put his in and do mine when ever i want.......but I wish him well......So thanks John.

Regards Mo

And Thanks everyone for all your advice     

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

mo goldie

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 13 November, 2019, 20:10:37 »
Hi All......well just an update I am going to sell the gearbox that I got as I am now in the process of taken mine out and seeing what is wrong in the gearbox to make it whine I have all winter so no hurry to finish it....... as mine has the Std gearbox but has the reversed Cam so one up three down so that is how I want to keep it, so any help I might need I will come and ask you guy`s as to where to go to get new gears etc....... but I have been told that it will be no good to just replace the layshaft Bushes as that wont cure it as the Bushes will not take up the ware on the layshaft...........so what do you do if not that then ? anyway I have just got new Bushes from D/F so do I use them or take them Back ?........all very frustrated at the moment so will update when the gearbox is taken apart.

Mo 

mo goldie

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 24 November, 2019, 19:33:51 »
Hi can any one clear up something.........I have stripped the gear box and am now ready to put it back together again......but need to know how to put everything back together right.....as when I took it apart there was things that were not meant to be there as the drawing shows, like on the lay shaft they show a thrust washer Now is this on the timing side of the 1st gear or up against the shoulder before the first gear go`s on............as when I stripped it down the thrust washer was put on the Main shaft and it dont show a thrust washer on the main shaft ..........so can anyone tell me if I should put that from that Main shaft and put it on the Layshaft, and as I say is that before or after the first gear go`s on.......also they show a Layshaft bush circlip  in front of the thrust washer and again mine had not even got one of them......a bit confusing to me but there you go anyway would this have been part of the problem of the whine in 2nd and 3rd gears.............as I could not find anything wrong with all bushes they were a good and even the two bearing were not bad but I have replaced them anyway along with both the 2 x 3rd gears and the two 2nd gears as there was only a bit of wear on them I still replaced them just incase ..... but just need help please in putting it back together so any help from you guys would be very helpful.

Cheers Mo   

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 24 November, 2019, 22:42:13 »
Thust washer goes between the large first gear pinion and the splines on the layshaft. Chamfered side to the splines.

No thrust washer on the mainshaft. There is one which goes between the small ball bearing and kickstart pinion bush.

mo goldie

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 25 November, 2019, 00:43:30 »
Thanks Julian

so what about the circlip as mine did not have one on the layshaft and there is no recess for one but it shows one in the Diagram so don't need to worry about that one then ? 

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 25 November, 2019, 09:12:33 »
If you are looking at the Draganfly diagram and seeing part 87 then ignore it. That is for the needle roller layshaft not the bushed layshaft and is a bit misleading.

See first photo showing it in place at the righthand end of the shaft needle roller shaft. The bushed shaft is not machined to accept one here and not all the needle roller shafts have the machining either. My needle roller box does not have one fitted and I dont really understand what it does.

The other "circlip" is on the left splined end and is essential as it locates the fixed layshaft pinion in
the correct position.

The second photo shows a bushed shaft with locating circlip and fixed pinion in position.

mo goldie

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 26 November, 2019, 21:10:43 »
Thanks Julian, Now all is clear so my gearbox was put together wrong as it had the Thrust washer put on the end of the main shaft and not on the layshaft between the 1st gear and the shoulder on the layshaft............I wonder if this Contributed to the whining that I was getting from the 2nd and 3rd gears .........might not sound a lot just being a washer but it might have done being where it is not meant to have one on the mainshaft...and in turn missing one where it is meant to have one .....well I will see when its all back up and running ha.....

Thanks again for all the help.

Cheers Mo