Author Topic: "Smart" chargers  (Read 1036 times)

berniej

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
"Smart" chargers
« on: 15 September, 2019, 08:34:05 »
I have bikes with both 6 and 12V electrics and normally use a 'smart' charger when needed.

However, I've found that these will not charge a fully discharged battery - if the detected battery voltage is below a minimum threshold they will just display an error code.

I accidentally left the pilot/tail lights switched on and my 6V Bantam battery is totally flat and I'm currently (!) unable to charge it.

Does anyone know of a simple, old-fashioned transformer/rectifier type charger that will deliver 6V - or an alternative way to get some charge into my battery (bearing in mind that I'm in a field in Germany for the next week!) - I was wondering if a 5V phone charger might get enough into it for the smart charger to then be happy to take over....

Cheers,
Bernie
'49 M21/B31 hybrid
'56 M21 combination
B40 Super Star
A50CC project

paulm

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
Re: "Smart" chargers
« Reply #1 on: 15 September, 2019, 10:17:41 »
I connect another battery to kid the charger

chaz

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 September, 2019, 12:45:20 »
there are 6v chargers on google or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVkv_oVtG3w

Mark N

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 September, 2019, 13:00:01 »
I have an Accumate 6/12v but also a trusty vintage 1950s lump that does anything that’s asked of it.
Try Ebay, type in “Vintage battery charger”. If it’s working, it’ll probably work for ever!

chaz

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 September, 2019, 13:40:03 »
my old Davenset charger had a jumper that you could swap between 6 and 12 volts, the workshop Sealey only does 12v but has a boost to use on cars while still in situ to aid starting. I looked for a new one recently, there are a few chargers out there but not many 6v. the intellegent ones are normally like the Optimate type that will keep the battery charged whilst still on the bike but generally they only keep the charge to the same as when its plugged in. so pays to go on a run to get full charge to maintain that.

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 September, 2019, 13:55:10 »
 :) :) :)

Do you actually have it running or is it refusing

You might try slaving your bike from another battery. Then starting it and keeping it running long enuf to put some charge in yours. Preferably 6V but as you only want a flow to assist starting with 12V shouldn't do any lasting harm.

Mike 8) 8) 8)

berniej

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 September, 2019, 08:54:31 »
I can run it with a flat battery as it has the original 'E' and 'I' options but wanted to also keep my phone (satnav) charged whilst riding in foreign parts.

I found a charger for a torch with a 6V output and after lashing up a connection it got enough charge into the battery for the inappropriately named smart charger to take over.

Thanks for all your suggestions - it was great fun turning out of a lane onto a road in the middle of a stream of Harley riders out for a cruise  :)

Cheers,
Bernie
'49 M21/B31 hybrid
'56 M21 combination
B40 Super Star
A50CC project

AdrianS

« Reply #7 on: 16 September, 2019, 18:38:44 »
I've got 2 different "smart" chargers both 12v though. I have resurrected bad 6v batteries with them. I have got a small 6v 4ah battery which  is ok and I put it in series with the knackered one. The optimate I use is an older Optimate and it indicates a desulphating cycle is going on. This can take a couple of days and then miraculously the battery then charges! My normal 6/12v charger from Halfrauds wont do that. Not too keen on the plug in 6v chargers from ebay etc which just give out a set 300 or 500ma charge. I do use these when I feel the battery is getting low or over the winter months but just leave them connected for a few hours only.

BEEZABRYAN

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 September, 2019, 20:51:51 »
Bought a Gunson plug-in 6/12V charger 24 years ago always done the business for me.

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 September, 2019, 10:55:11 »
 :) :)

Just been talking to my son about this and he has a 6V/12V trickle charger that runs from a small solar panel. Bound to be some times when it ain't so good. He is unsure of its real abilities at this stage.

Mike 8) 8) 8)

TTJOHN

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 September, 2019, 09:12:28 »
I had a smart charger and found it wasn't so smart, it could not remember where I put the battery ::) ::) ;D ;D

chaz

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 September, 2019, 06:37:06 »
just had an email from Lidl in France, they usually have items here and there ( weknow as have houses in both places), their latest notification, from yesterday

https://www.lidl.fr/fr/c/tout-pour-votre-auto/c1018

berniej

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 September, 2019, 07:31:44 »
I bought one of those heavy duty chargers a while back for my camper van. It does the job well but still won't charge a flat battery (at least not a small 6V one).

Driving back through Belgium and France tomorrow so might have to drop in....  ;)
'49 M21/B31 hybrid
'56 M21 combination
B40 Super Star
A50CC project