Author Topic: Engine rebuildes  (Read 1225 times)

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
Engine rebuildes
« on: 12 September, 2019, 19:21:50 »
 :) :)

Sadly I note that once again one of our Beesa friends has been seen off by a so called expert. So take care

The derivation of the word EXPERT:-

EX is a has been

Spurt is a drip under pressure

Mike 8) 8) 8)

Bees

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
Re: Engine rebuildes
« Reply #1 on: 13 September, 2019, 06:56:04 »
Not sure what you mean?

chaz

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 September, 2019, 07:31:43 »
from my experience , Im  not an expert and dont advertise as so, but in many cases the customer has some input...usually a financial one.  I recommend x but they want y because its cheaper, I want to do A but they want B because it involve more time and money.
if a bike has been stood for a while, my T100 for instance, the ethanol has eaten away the brass jets, Ive put the carbs aside and bought a new pair, bolted straight on and ran a customer would just want new jets, preferably without the ultrasonic clean first then complain its not running right. believe me when you are working on a 1980's Japanes 4 cyl with hard inlet rubbers,you only want to take them off once, so its strip clean and replace parts then refit. 2 hours minimum, then they come in with a second hand set from ebay.
my local MX shop are great at their make but a road bike ....Ive still got the engine they rebuilt the top end on which went the same way as the replacement work they did. on removing the head there was a shim floating under the crank, I cant give a garantee on another top end rebuild unless I strip the complete engine,

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 September, 2019, 16:59:38 »

I understand where you are with this. I have never been involved professionally but done  a lot of jobs for people. After much shilly shallying at various times I no longer do so. Some one would come to me with a broken casting and ask for it to be welded. Quick answer "Yes but I wont guarantee cast iron welding, if you are happy with that I'll weld it". 95% of the time they held fine but occasionally they broke again, then it was unacceptable and my fault. So I quit doing it except for very good friends. Now??? I would weld cast for myself bt not for anyone else.

Mike 8) 8) 8)

DerekAnderson8

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 September, 2019, 17:31:58 »
That is good news i've been looking for somebody to do some cast iron repairs for ages!

;)

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 September, 2019, 19:49:08 »

Hi Derek. It would depend largely on what it is. I no longer have a full set of kit so it would have to be something simple. Rebuilding the odd broken cylinder fin or something like that,---perhaps. Trouble with fins tho is often you have a broken one and both the ones either side are cracked almost through, So you rebuild one and two fall off. If you have something specific in mind PM me and I'll give you a straight appraisal. Don't put Toooooooooooo much hope on it.
Pics are rebuilding M20 cylinder head and the finished article I HOPE

Mike 8) 8) 8)

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 September, 2019, 19:54:05 »

PS the filler rod was cast steel???(may have been iron but don't think so) piston ring from a 1920's 4 cylinder 5.5 litre tractor engine. Very high grade cast. Tractor only had a starting handle.(and a prayer book)

Mike 8) 8) 8)

MICKREEVES

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
    • mickreevesmodels
« Reply #7 on: 14 September, 2019, 13:46:25 »
I would think that silver solder would be an easy way to repair fins?
Mick

chaz

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 September, 2019, 14:46:58 »
we used to nip over to the foundry to get some scrap waste cast spill. used to come off in flat 3 or 4mm thick plates that were just the size for fins.
we had a welder in town that was employed by our foundry and when made redundant, the company sent their repair work out to him and as part of payment we supplied him with cylinders of gas.
he was Polish and could weld anything, from cast iron 1920's steam engine parts to modern petrol tanks with spits in. he would despite your assurance it had been cleaned out, still leave it with soapy water in for a week before he welded it.
shame, long since gone and no idea who to find now to do the work.

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 September, 2019, 10:33:21 »
 :) :) :)

Silver solder may well have worked if I had been putting new fins on. As I was simply building up and shaping the existing broken fine it wasn't practicable. But I'll give that some thought if I ever??????????/do it again(very unlikely).

Overall I've never been keen on any solder around cast iron.

Mike 8) 8) 8)

MALCOLM.JOHNSON

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 September, 2019, 12:27:52 »
" So I quit doing it except for very good friends. Now???"  It is surprising just how many friends you can accumulate in life, if you are skilled in something that is normally expensive to do! :(

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 September, 2019, 19:15:37 »

Ahhh Malcolm I agree entirely. Buy there are friends and there are friends. I guess it would really be someone that I have known for a considerable time.

Mike 8) 8) 8)

Mel

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 September, 2019, 00:44:44 »
Having worked in the motorcycle trade for over forty years, nothing surprises me with customers!!!!
Don't get me started. >:(
Mel

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 September, 2019, 10:05:54 »
 :) :) :)

Follow up. The guys that I will weld cast for are already in my buddy list.

Mike 8) 8) 8)