Author Topic: MORE B25 STARFIRE TIPS  (Read 41 times)

JOHN KAY

• Blue Star
    • View Profile
MORE B25 STARFIRE TIPS
« on: 11 September, 2019, 17:01:54 »
 HI GUYS  - SOME MORE TIPS FOR YOU

SOME TOOLS I FOUND VERY USEFUL IN THE STRIPDOWN AND ASSEMBLY PROCESS NAMELY
CRANKSHAFT PUSHER TOOL THIS CAN EASILY BE MADE FROM METAL PLATE AND LONG BOLT AND NUT ALSO IF PUSHED YOU COULD ALWAYS USE A COUPLE OF SMALL RATCHET STRAPS WRAPPED AROUND THE CRANKCASE AND SOME IMOVEABLE OBJECT LIKE A CLOTHES POLE AND A BOTTLE
JACK OR SCISSOR JACK WITH SOFT SPACERS OR WOOD ON LATER ENGINES  - EARLIER ENGINES
ARE A TAD MORE DIFFICULT . ANOTHER TOOL I FOUND VERY GOOD IS THE FORK ASSEMBLY TOOL WHICH COULD BE FABRICATED FROM OLD FORK NUTS AND SCREWED ROD AS LIKE MOST TOOLS
EXPENSIVE TO BUY BUT CAN BE OVERCOME OVERCOMING THE SPRING TENSION ON THE FORKS
IS DIFFICULT TO SAY THE LEAST UNLESS YOU HAVE A SPARE ELEPHANT TO SIT ON THE BIKE .
A CLUTCH EXTRACTOR TOOL IS USUALLY ESSENTIAL ON THE A 65 BUT ON THE B25 A 2 LEG PULLER CAN BE USED WHEN ONLY THE CENTRE HUB IS LEFT ON THE TAPERED SHAFT BUT LIKE
ALWAYS WHEN PRESSURE IS APPLIED A TAP WITH THE HAMMER ON THE END OF THE ADJUSTER
BOLT SHOULD FREE THE HUB OFF THE TAPER WHEN IT GETS TIGHT .
USE COBALT DRILL BITS WHEN BORING OUT TOUGH STEEL E.G BROKEN IN BOLTS ETC . THEY ARE SO MUCH BETTER THAN HSS BITS
GRIND DOWN THE OUTSIDE EDGE OF OLD SCRAP BEARINGS TO USE AS DRIFTS WHEN FITTING
NEW BEARINGS OF THE SAME SIZE E.G WHEEL BEARINGS WHEN ITS HARD TO FIND A SUITABLE
DRIFT .
USE AN IMPACT DRIVER AND HEAVY HAMMER TO REMOVE THE CRANK SLUDGE PLUG WITH
THE CRANK AND FLYWHEELS WELL SUPPORTED IN A VICE THEY ARE VERY DIFFICULT TO REMOVE AND RENEW WITH AN ALLEN  KEY SCREW TYPE >
TO RENEW SWINGING ARM SILENT BLOCK BUSHES > FIRST BURN OUT THE RUBBERS WITH A BLOW TORCH THE MIDDLE PART THEN COMES OUT > USING JUST A BLADE FROM A HACKSAW
CUT A SLOT LONGITUDINALLY IN THE REMAINING OUTER BUSH BUT DONT GO ALL THE WAY THROUGH THEN USING A LONG SHARP TOUGH POINTED OBJECT E.G MASONRY NAIL OR PUNCH
COLLAPSE THE BUSH UNTIL YOU CAN PULL IT OUT > REMEMBER TO DRESS UP ANY DAMAGE TO
THE SWINGING ARM WITH A ROUND FILE OR THE NEW BUSHES MAY SNAG ON ANY ROUGHNESS .
GREASE THE BUSH HOLES IN THE SWINGING ARM THEN DRAW NEW ONES IN ONE AT A TIME
USING THICKISH STEEL THREADED ROD AND SUITABLE SPACERS OR SOCKETS > IT MAY BE USEFUL TO RUB DOWN THE OUTSIDE OF THE NEW BUSHES WITH ROUGH EMERY PAPER TO SMOOTH THEM OFF OR A SMOOTH FILE AS THEY WILL BE TIGHT GOING IN USE GREASE AGAIN
OR A SMEAR OF OIL . 1/2 INCH SCREWED ROD AND NUTS ARE BEST IF YOU CAN GET IT >
I FOUND THE BOTTOM BUSH SECURING NUT OR PLUG ON MY FORK STANCHIONS WERE VERY
TIGHT SO ITS EASIER TO REMOVE IF YOU PUT THE NUT IN A VICE WITH THE STANCHION POINTING UPWARDS AND USING A STILSON WRENCH ON AN UNUSED PART OF THE STANCHION
UNSCREW IT > JUST REMEMBER NOT TO ASSEMBLE TOO TIGHTLY DRESS ANY DAMAGE WITH A FILE MINES WERE UNDAMAGED .
FIT TIGHTISH FIBRE OR DOWTY WASHERS UNDER ROCKER SPINDLE NUTS AND DOMED NUTS IF YOU SO WISH TO CUT DOWN OIL LEAKS HERE .
I HAVE CUT DOWN THE AMP SIZE OF THE MAIN BATTERY FUSE FROM 35AMPS TO  17 AMPS TO
PROTECT SENSITIVE ELECTRONICS IN IGNITION AND CHARGING SYSTEMS BUT THAT IS MY
PREFERENCE .
FOR PRIMING THE ENGINE OIL SYSTEM WHAT I DO IS HALF FILL THE OIL TANK > PUT ABOUT 1/2
PINT IN THE SUMP VIA VALVE CAPS > USING AN OIL CAN REMOVE THE ROCKER FEED HOSE  AT THE CYLINDER HEAD END AND PUMP OIL IN UNTIL YOU SEE IT COMING INTO THE OIL TANK >
THAT WILL FILL UP THE RETURN HOSE AND SHOULD PUT OIL IN AS FAR AS THE PUMP IF ITS A LATER OIL MANIFOLD WITH THE ROCKER FEED LIKE MINE THATS ABOUT AS MUCH AS YOU CAN DO TO THE RETURN SIDE . FOR THE FEED SIDE I TAKE THE SPRING AND BALL VALVE OUT OF THE TIMING COVER THE NON RETURN VALVE THAT IS NOT THE PRESSURE RELIEF VALVE AND TURN THE ENGINE OVER UNTIL OIL PUMPS OUT THE HOLE > THEN SQUIRT OIL IN VIA THE BALL SEAT  TO PUT OIL INTO THE CRANK AGAIN THEN RE- ASSEMBLE > OIL SHOULD NOW BE REACHING THE CRANK END AREA > YOU CAN ALSO SUIRT OIL INTO THE METAL PIPE OF THE ROCKERBOX TO
LUBRICATE THE ROCKER SPINDLES ETC>
I THOROUGHLY RECOMMEND THE RUPERT RATIO BOOKS FOR GOOD INFO .
THATS ALL FOR NOW FOLKS > ANY CRITICISMS OR FURTHER ADVICE WELCOME REGARDS JOHNBOY .