Author Topic: Early days with the A65  (Read 614 times)

Mel

• Star
    • View Profile
Early days with the A65
« on: 31 August, 2019, 22:57:53 »
How it all started, age 16, not old enough to drive so rode the bike to Cadwell Park, fell off at the hairpin in the second race, had to tweak the footrest and levers to ride it home again with a mate on the back with a rucksack of tools!
Managed to get lifts to Darley Moor and the racing bug bit hard and 1972 was to be the first of 13 seasons in total.

Bought the BSA Metisse of Dave Ashton but carried on tweaking the Spitfire, first to 730cc, then to 840cc.

Saw the Metisse on E-Bay a couple of years back, the owner had been in touch with the club regarding its engine number A65 MS2. I contacted the owner and told him it was sold with my second engine which was built using new crankcases so it was my initials an '2' for the second engine.
I still have the Spitfire and an A50 with a Chris Vincent top end on it but have never got round to trying it.

Malc

DerekAnderson8

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
Re: Early days with the A65
« Reply #1 on: 01 September, 2019, 08:34:37 »
Cracking pics malc thanks for posting them, what are the bikes like now?

derek

Mel

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 September, 2019, 11:56:32 »
Hi Derek,
My intention was to do the British Historic Racing Club events so the original Spitfire is back with its original Devimead 750 barrels and needs the head re-fitting and final preparation as I think I will fit an alternator to it so it can be used on the road again. It will have its original high level pipes and both this bike and the A50 have the late type 1969 steel tanks and new side panels re-painted in a deep metallic red.
The A50 also has the later type forks as I found them a big improvement. Engine all built but need to make an exhaust system for it and rear set foot rests etc, all the little jobs that take up time.
I bought the 500cc top end of a sidecar racer back in 1980 and was told it was off one of Chris Vincents engines. The ports are bigger than I run on the 750! I met Chris Vincent at Curborough track in 2000 and he asked me where I got them from and a bit about them and confirmed they were a spare top end that was taken to the TT, cannot remember which year.

The Metisse had one bid of 6000 and went to France, but it was in need of total restoration. I wanted to buy it back but the seller wanted 6000 which I would have paid if I had the money.
Everything has currently been left due to life events etc.

I will see if I can add the photo of Chris Vincent riding my old rotary Norton.

DerekAnderson8

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 September, 2019, 19:55:18 »
Good to hear they are still about and going to be used.

Interesting about the Norton rotary stuff, i was reading in classic bike about them and the connection to Brian Crighton last months edition i think.

cheers

derek