Author Topic: A65rebuild  (Read 1862 times)

MITCHELL

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
Re: A65rebuild
« Reply #15 on: 14 September, 2019, 12:49:34 »
Hi Bess, May be a bit pricey to have all these small bits made in stainless, I don't have the facilities to manufacture myself which is why I thought about plating but I know where your coming from.Dave.

Bess

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 14 September, 2019, 13:32:40 »
Hi Mitchell,
                 I had a number of items lost during plating and its cost is spiraling.

There are a lot of people in sheds making up various stainless alternatives at the moment, maybe worth a search to compare costs.

Best wishes and hope all goes well....

chaz

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 14 September, 2019, 14:55:43 »
Evening all, bushes in, 12 mm rod and gentle tap under pressure, but have to say wouldn't want to fit them for a living,anyway now have all the bits for the rear brake linkage cleaned up and wondering about some sort of plating, as there moving parts chrome wouldn't be suitable so maybe something like Zink, any advice/ ideas welcome as always, those that have working machines enjoy the weekend.Dave.

Chrome plating has been outlawed now as environmentally unfriendly and carsonogenic, I used to use the works alochrom plating and ended up with neck and thyroid cancer! our parts are now anadol plated which is non chrome , even the di-chromate stain used has changed. Zinc is a poor substitute for the decorative chrome we used to have but all thats available now. prefer to have cadmium plated (the gold colour) , as for stainless looks good colour stays but has a low shear factor lower than mild steel so beware when using on shear applications ie, when forces are acting on a 90degree direction to the material.   oh, the pains of being an inspector in an engineering company!!

ChrisG

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 14 September, 2019, 17:16:17 »
I use Nickel plating for everything that's likely to get splashed with road wash (salt lingers for ages). Other items I go for zinc and clear passivate. You need to clean all the paint and rust off first, easily done with a rotary wire brush. A lot cheaper than replacing everything with stainless, but each to their own as they say.
Chris

Mike Farmer

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 15 September, 2019, 10:15:08 »
 :) :)

Yep each to their own. I still have mine chromed but when I spoke to chromers about the illegality they said "its nickel really but we still call it chrome". So that's the way I still go.

Love your day.

Mike 8) 8) 8)

MITCHELL

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 15 September, 2019, 18:47:07 »
Evening all, thanks for the input, had some plating done a while back,handle bars and a few other bits, I was under the impression they were chromed but maybe it was nickel, I'll call in there next week and see what service they offer, meanwhile have some rear springs to clean up.Thanks again,Dave.

chaz

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 15 September, 2019, 20:28:04 »
for reference, a useful read, apparently China and India are still chrome plating but they dont worry much about workers health.

http://electroless-nickel-plating.co.uk/chrome-plating/

MITCHELL

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 16 September, 2019, 18:20:11 »
Sounds nasty stuff, I feel it would be irresponsible of me to ask anyone to put themselves at such a high risk,I'm surprised it's not banned worldwide,so looks like nickel plating is favourite, will have to see what the Finnish is like as I have the levers ect to get plated as well.Thanks for the link.

chaz

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 17 September, 2019, 08:00:51 »
we had a military contract for radio boxes that fit into back packs. made out of aluminium. to prevent corrosion they had to be plated. Alochrom is normally the choice but we had to use mildef anadol (the chrom missing is chromium).
reason being is....
if a soldier had one on his back and was shot, and bullet passed through the box the military/government were not concerned with the bullet killing said soldier, the worry was, the soldier dying of chrome poisoning to which they would be held to account not the enemy, therefore liable for his death.

our brake units were Anodized and stained with DiChromate, the Chinese, our big customer complained because we knew chromate was being phased out BUT the Chinese liked the colour and did not want different colours on the same wheel bogies. SO we had to consult with all our platers to come up with a solution that protected and gave the right matching colour. There was a 2 year buffer to allow stocks to end and new to come in, unfortunately, we still managed to cut it to the last minute before we arrived at the right solution.

MITCHELL

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 17 September, 2019, 21:27:27 »
Should have just put them in a bullet proof pack,on a serious note, not much changes when you read some of the reports on the rubbish they issue the forces with in recent conflicts.