Author Topic: A7 Longstroke  (Read 559 times)

Happyhenry

• Star
    • View Profile
A7 Longstroke
« on: 20 August, 2019, 21:48:48 »
Here's one of mine - recently sparkless on the Mendips.
Hot old capacitor - now fixed thanks to Brightspark Magnetos...and some keyhole surgery.

DG

• Star
    • View Profile
Re: A7 Longstroke
« Reply #1 on: 21 August, 2019, 08:42:02 »
That's nice.   Did you get home once the mag cooled down ?

Happyhenry

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 August, 2019, 18:59:34 »
That's nice.   Did you get home once the mag cooled down ?

Called the AA - and guess what? They arrived about an hour and a half later and it started, despite me having tried it every 10 minutes up to that point. Chap had a folding trailer in the back of the van so he gave me a ride home rather than me risking doing it in several stages.

Now all running fine after a condensectomy and the fitting of a Brightspark condensor. Although I have since fitted a fully rebuilt spare magneto. Otherwise it's a very pleasant ride. The engine is, I think, on the standard 6:1 pistons and it pulls very well since I put it on solo gearing.

It looks better in the photo than in real life. It's an un-restored survivor having obviously been maintained on a budget (remould quality tyres when I got it) and having had a chair on it for decades. I like them like that - there are plenty of shiny bikes about.
« Last Edit: 21 August, 2019, 19:10:52 by Happyhenry »

DG

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 August, 2019, 18:28:52 »
Hi HH,
Sod's Law it finally starts when the AA roll up!
I like seeing unrestored old bikes , especially as there are less about now.  I agree about the soft-tuned parallel twins being pleasant to ride,  I've always had single carb BSA and Triumph twins and gone for lowish comp. pistons when a rebore was needed.  I helped a friend long ago collect a Spitfire tune Lightning by riding it from Leeds to Nottingham;  it was very fast for a BSA but the vibration was "noticeable" compared to my Royal Star.