Author Topic: Engine shaft Shock absorber  (Read 248 times)

briand2

• Star
    • View Profile
Engine shaft Shock absorber
« on: 16 July, 2019, 17:48:04 »
I am part rebuilding my Gold flash , The workshop manual says when refitting the engine shaft shock absorber " tighten the sleeve nut fully and replace split pin" Unless I have done something wrong, how can you tighten the sleeve nut fully? because by doing so the shock absorber spring gets full compressed! so there would be no shock absorption. Or am I being stupid (again) lol 

berniej

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
Re: Engine shaft Shock absorber
« Reply #1 on: 16 July, 2019, 18:17:52 »
If you can tighten it so that the spring is fully compressed then that's obviously wrong as you say.

On my M21s I tighten it up about half way. If I find that bad clutch work causes the awesome 15 h.p. to make it jump then I tighten it a bit more. You probably want it a bit tighter on an A10.

Cheers,
Bernie

'49 M21/B31 hybrid
'56 M21 combination
Bantam D7
C15 project
B40 Super Star
A50CC project

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 July, 2019, 18:45:20 »
You need to fully tighten the nut.

If the spring fully compresses you will have some wrong parts.

The photo show my A10 with the SRM nut fully tightened.

TTJOHN

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 July, 2019, 10:01:59 »
On the A10  the cush drive there is the split pin hole on the shaft but there should be a lock washer also, I don't know if it it shown in the book but it's a difficult little bleeder, it fits on the spline and when you tighten the nut up you have to get a punch to get at it to lock it into a groove on the nut, hope this makes sense, I am quoting from memory.

Regards TTJohn