Author Topic: What do you do?  (Read 1277 times)

Trev

• Star
    • View Profile
What do you do?
« on: 06 July, 2019, 16:12:48 »
I own an RGS and because I am a bit of a short arse I have difficulty staring it sometimes because it is not always that easy to give it a lusty kick. If there is a handy kerb then I normally don't have a problem. If there is no handy kerb starting is a bit iffy because I have to hop up to give it a good kick and then the bike becomes unstable. To compound matters I don't have a centre stand fitted, but even if I did it is bad practice to use a centre stand for starting, and I would never use the side stand for this purpose. Trouble is the RGS like the later A10 has a fairly high seat which together with high comp pistons makes things worse. Any one else have similar problems, and if so how do you cope?

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
Re: What do you do?
« Reply #1 on: 06 July, 2019, 16:40:24 »
You could try a coil ignition conversion which usually makes starting easier with less effort on the kick start pedal.

royblackburn1@btinternet.

• Silver Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 July, 2019, 18:27:06 »
what about a electric start conversion?,just a thought

Trev

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 July, 2019, 21:27:31 »
what about a electric start conversion?,just a thought
I did consider that option a few years ago. I placed a firm order but I got mucked about so much that I gave up on the idea.

bikerbob

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 July, 2019, 15:32:16 »
Why is it bad practice to start the bike on the center stand I nearly always start my bikes on the center stand the bikes are much more stable whilst on the stand.

chaz

• Golden Flash
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 July, 2019, 16:22:14 »
problem I have found working on many bikes over the years is that, starting is down to the knack or technique. if bike correctly set up it will start. the problem is frustration. the centre stand was designed to support the bike, it wasnt designed to add another 11+stone jumping up and down for 5 minutes trying to start it. same applies with side standsthey bend out or like the A50/65 they become loose on the frame and slip around so the bike lays over more. in serious cases the bike tips over on side stand or wont lift the wheel off the ground on centre stands.
the other factor is wear, the feet being tubes wear and they take on rust and water so become weak.
if wheels and motors not balanced they can vibrate off stand as well

EDDIE SIMPSON

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 July, 2019, 22:32:33 »
centre stand starting is ok for me. then onto sidestand for mounting the old girl.
she s easy starting even with my relacement kneecap. 100 kick limit though.

ducati2242

• Royal Star
  • DB 34 GS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 July, 2019, 06:41:29 »
I would go with the electric start kit . This is the person I would deal with , http://www.bsagoldstar.co.uk/price_list/price_list.htm , details on page 6 . Ive dealt with senior many times and he is a Gent i'm sure junior will be as good .
1956 bsa GS DB500
1968 mk1 Rocket 3
2006 ducati 999R .

bikerbob

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 July, 2019, 15:13:08 »
Eddie that is exactly what I do start bike on center stand  take off the stand flick out side stand then mount the bike do it in reverse when getting off the bike side stand out then dismount then put on center stand.  My center stand on my 1956 A7 is not tubular it is cast steel and the same goes for my 1963 A65.