Author Topic: Help with alignment / offset for BSA B44 SS rear wheel  (Read 254 times)

AndrewB44

• Star
    • View Profile
Help with alignment / offset for BSA B44 SS rear wheel
« on: 25 June, 2019, 13:47:14 »
Hi all,

I'd really appreciate some advice with my rear wheel. So I'm building a late B44 Shooting Star from parts given to me by my dad (with 2LS) and have just had the wheels rebuilt. The front was slightly out on the offset, hence I've adjusted the spokes to get it spinning centrally between the forks.

The rear wheel however is way over and doesn't seem central to the swinging arm, should it be? Does anyone know what the offset should be? The wheel is a 7" SLS QD (pie crust hub).

From measuring from the outside of the rim (WM2) to each side of the swinging arem, on one side it measures around 35mm (speedo drive side) and the other it's 60mm (chain side). Is this correct? Some forums say the wheel should be central, but I've seen on others some owners saying the back wheel doesn't run central, to allow the chain to run in a straight line, and the engine is balanced one way so the wheel runs out to compensate - is this true?

The easiest way to check would be with another B44 owner, so I could measure how close their rim sits to each side of the swinging arm and if the gap is equal both sides.

Any advice/help/comparisons appreciated!

ANDY HIGHAM

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
Re: Help with alignment / offset for BSA B44 SS rear wheel
« Reply #1 on: 25 June, 2019, 14:32:19 »
To use a Lancashire expression "That's a clog out"
Do not worry about the wheel being in the centre of the swing arm, it needs to be on the centre line of the frame and front wheel.
Tighten everything up with the wheel pushed to the front of the slots, run a straight edge down the frame and measure how far the wheel is off centre and get it central be adjusting the spokes

AndrewB44

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 June, 2019, 15:51:23 »
Cheers Andy, to get the centre of the frame am I best using a line from the front wheel in parallel with the top tube? As the lower cradle part of the frame is also offset

ANDY HIGHAM

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 June, 2019, 17:15:45 »
You can use the top tube as a datum