Author Topic: 1965 C15 charging  (Read 297 times)

Mark

• Star
    • View Profile
1965 C15 charging
« on: 25 June, 2019, 09:00:49 »
Hi all,

Not far off now with the C15 rebuild however when running the ammeter seems to fluctuate as if its reading alternating current, I am pretty sure the wiring is correct but have not had time to double check yet.
Researching on the internet I have found the following information / diagrams which suggests that there is a wire missing on the original wiring diagram between the white & green alternator connection & terminal number 4 on the lighting switch.

Has anyone else come across this?

Diagrams should be attached.

Thanks Best Regards Mark

JulianS

• Empire Star
  • A10
    • View Profile
Re: 1965 C15 charging
« Reply #1 on: 25 June, 2019, 09:39:51 »
presume that you have a 6 volt system without a voltage regulator?

The white/green reduces the charge with lights off to prevent the battery overcharging and boiling. It has no effect in the other light positions. It shows in both my C15 owners manuals, though in the earlier one it is light green rather than white/green.

Expect some fluctuation to show at low engine speeds due to the current taken by the ignition system

ANDY HIGHAM

• Royal Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 June, 2019, 09:48:13 »
....And expect even more fluctuation from vibration!! For a few miles at least until the ammeter has been shaken apart

Mark

• Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 June, 2019, 06:04:50 »
Thanks Gents,

I have now fitted the white & green wire.

After a double check on the alternator wiring it seems when I soldered new wires to the stator old ones were cut of short & discoloured I got the common wire from the stator white & green & green & yellow the wrong way round, now connected correctly.

The ammeter still fluctuates but not as much & its charging quite well.

Regards Mark